Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stan2001
Hi, looking for some help

I have a 2013 CX-5 with the head gasket issue, car was only serviced by Mazda on the first service and has been serviced by a mechanic every since, however 1 service was missed.

Car has 160k klm, has anyone had any luck getting mazda to cover the costs of the engine replacement even though it wasn't serviced by them?

My understanding is the engine is not fit for purpose and it's a known issue with the earlier CX-5, I just wanted to see if there is anyone else had a similar experience before I take it into Mazda.

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.
My CX5 was purchased in 2013 and similar to you only first couple of services done by Mazda and the software upgrades. The rest had been done by local mechanics. Just more convienent in rural living.
Recently I had a suspected overheat? Carbon in the oil issue.
Mazda has agreed to replace the motor.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:50 PM

I must knock on wood, mine has 140k km and still runs normal..
Do you recommend to service her only at mazda shop or I can go to local mechanic?

Old 06-13-2019, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
They are a troublesome motor.

We replace 1 at our dealership about every two weeks.
I have problems with my 2012 Cx 5. Last year I had the well known oil problem which I managed to get Mazda to sort for me. Now, a year later, there is a suspect head gasket problem at 125,000 kms. Surely this is not right, and I am getting the sense that this too, is a known problem. My local dealership are hopeless, and I have gone to Mazda in Auckland for the diagnosis. They're not suggesting that this is another built in fault, but from your post I am suspecting it is. Is this a common and known fault in these cars?

Old 06-15-2019, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Keep hitting up Mazda NZ directly.

Which dealership are you dealing with? John Andrew are useless, they only care about car sales, not servicing or repairs. I used to Work for Sth Auckland Motors in both East Tamaki & Manukau .

Old 06-15-2019, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Keep hitting up Mazda NZ directly.

Which dealership are you dealing with? John Andrew are useless, they only care about car sales, not servicing or repairs. I used to Work for Sth Auckland Motors in both East Tamaki & Manukau .
I'm in Gisborne, and to be honest, I wouldn't be dealing with them if I didn't have to. Their advice: keep driving until it gets worse, and then maybe they can work out what the problem is! I had an issue with the oil last year (a major known problem with these cars) and contacted someone at head office who talked them through it. He is also on the case in this instance but still a bit wary of admitting it shouldn't be happening at these low kms, so I am sniffing about trying to find out just how common it is. There is a facebook page in Taiwan with plenty of pictures of cars with the same issue.

Old 06-25-2019, 01:13 AM

Since our earlier communications I have taken the car back to Mazda where they took the engine out and informed me that the camshaft was shot. 8000kms ago they fixed an oil pump problem for me. I managed to get Mazda to pay for it after a while, because it was a result of the known problem of diesel getting into the oil and causing a series of increasingly worse problems. The last of these I understand to be that the camshaft goes. Am I right in suspecting that this camshaft problem stems from that problem, and the other problems are secondary? The other problems being a suspected head gasket failure and apparently the turbo is shot also. I'm astonished that with all the technical wizardry which can send out alarms when my battery terminal needs a quarter turn of tightening, it is unable to tell me that the turbo is gone, and the camshaft is as well.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

From what I've heard, the camshaft is another issue of poor metal composition.

The turbo failure is believed to be due to oil dilution.

Head Gasket seem to be from faulty radiator caps allowing excessive coolant to flow out of the radiator and into the overflow bottle, overflowing the bottle & then overheating the engine.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:59 AM

Bloody hell, I seem to have the whole lot happening all at once! It was a good car to drive, but sadly the mechanics of it seem to be as bad as they can get. If it weren't for my trusty old Toyota, 25 years old with 300k on the clock, with all its engine working, I'd be stuck. This car has turned out to be a great disappointment, and as good a reason for buying anything other than Mazda as any.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Apparently they fixed the issues on later CX-5s, if not the newer KF series.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:50 PM

I am feeling slightly more relaxed about the situation. I am suspecting that the problems are more from the local dealer than the car. The head office feel that there is no problem with the camshaft and turbo, just minor wear perhaps (certainly there was no indication of a problem from my perspective), so they have asked the dealer to go back to the original plan which was to check the head gasket. I am hopeful that I might get my car back, working, and even that Mazda will cover the costs because of the shame and embarrassment caused by incompetence. Well, I can but hope. At least now they seem to be understanding and acknowledging what I have been indicating to them for some time, that they have a dealer issue in my area. Thank you for your help and responses, it's a great help to have a disinterested party to speak to.

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues