Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX5 Diesel engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Info hunter
We have had a response from Mazda New Zealand (Thomas 09 571 7764) regarding the replacement of the head gasket after sending them an email with references to web pages relating to the issue globally and insisting they cover the costs associated with these issues they have agreed to cover the costs. We told them that my mother in law purchased one at the same time, they said they cant fix it if its not broken, but have agreed to put it on record and will cover it should the problem arise. We mentioned we had had contact with someone in Gisborne with the same issue. They thought they knew who it was and said they will pay for theirs as well so it may pay to contact them while its still fresh. Thanks for the info and fingers crossed Mazda follow through. Good on them if they do.
Hi Info Hunter, I'm glad you got your issue resolved with Mazda. Was your car NZ new or a Japan Import? It seems Mazda NZ are not being as helpful for Japan Imports.
Does anyone have contact details for Mazda Japan?

Old 06-09-2020, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Webmite
Hi Info Hunter, I'm glad you got your issue resolved with Mazda. Was your car NZ new or a Japan Import? It seems Mazda NZ are not being as helpful for Japan Imports.
Does anyone have contact details for Mazda Japan?
Hi Webmite,

I'm also currently trying to resolve these problems on my import. So far Mazda NZ have said not our problem, tho I am currently penning a letter with push back as I think this is a huge safety issue to have all these cars driving around.
Mazda Japan will direct you to contact Mazda NZ unfortunately. I have tried to find a contact for them to discuss this issue but all I've found so far is a generic email, and their recall website states to take vehicles into their local dealer or if residing overseas to contact your local manufacturer.

However, I have been speaking with a lawyer and they've said I should be covered by Consumers Gaurantee Act and the import dealer should be liable. Obviously they also don't want to pay so have tried pushing back saying no, so we may end up at MVDT yet.

Hopefully you have better luck than me!

Old 06-10-2020, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Grey imports are covered by Manufacturer issued Recalls. Known defects, not covered by Recalls are unfortunately only covered in their original market. That's the downside of grey imports.

Old 06-11-2020, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Grey imports are covered by Manufacturer issued Recalls. Known defects, not covered by Recalls are unfortunately only covered in their original market. That's the downside of grey imports.
Mazda Japan have issued the recall under my chassis number, so I expected someone would be responsible for the repairs - according to Mazda NZ and the importer its me. Short of shipping my car back to Japan I am at a loss.

Mazda's advice was to get the parts examined, but this would come at our own cost and I am assuming that is going to cost a large sum anyway, and then given some of the parts it will end up needing to be fixed before being put back together.

A very expensive lesson in why not to buy an import. Also a harsh way to learn not to expect Mazda NZ to support any import owner.

Has anyone had their car examined for the faults and can give me a rough pricing?

Old 06-11-2020, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Rebekah, what is the actual fault or symptom with your CX-5?

If its the headgasket, there is no recall Issued by Mazda Japan or Mazda NZ or Mazda Australia for this. As much as it sucks,

Old 06-11-2020, 06:45 AM

Rebekah, what is the actual fault or symptom with your CX-5?

If its the headgasket, there is no recall Issued by Mazda Japan or Mazda NZ or Mazda Australia for this. As much as it sucks,
fault I think is multiple - but basically car started out with warnings of oil pressure abnormalities but despite being plugged into diagnosis things (sorry for my tech terms haha) they couldnt find any reason for it as the warning would go away just as suddenly as it came.
Then it turned to transmission, warnings for transmission and the engine performance decreased slightly and the car would stop changing gears randomly. Did service and replaced the trans fluid, problem came back, so changed it again and it seemed to fix. Still seemed a little less responsive but no lights etc.
began having braking issues, mainly when parking.
Suddenly it decided the new warning was a general engine issue (sorry cant remember wording off top of head) and along with this came the car throwing itself into limp mode or stalling whilst driving or attempting take off from intersections. You can feel and hear it whine and struggle with acceleration constantly.
mazda have put this & the brakes down to the vacuum pump needing replacing.

One of the Japanese recalls specifically mentions vacuum pump.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Depending on vin range ( chassis number), Vacuum pump is covered for some vehicles, unfortunately not all.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Has your vehicle been to a Mazda dealership for diagnosis?

Old 06-11-2020, 06:57 AM

Depending on vin range ( chassis number), Vacuum pump is covered for some vehicles, unfortunately not all.
I used my chassis number on the mazda japan site and it came up- does that mean mine is included or is there a second check part?

It's been to my local Mazda - they diagnosed it as needing an service, when that didnt work they re-diagnosed as the vacuum pump.
They wont look further unless I pay more. After already forking out for 3 visits and a service I'm reluctant to let them lose unless I absolutely need too as I'm not exactly flush for cash to throw at it.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Have you spoken directly to Mazda NZ for assistance?

Quick Reply: CX5 Diesel engine issues