Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

CX-5 heater core issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 02:48 PM

There are a host of corrosion/scaling inhibitors on the market that are added to cooling fluids.
Various types of triazoles compounds are used (TTA - BZT- MBT) which are effective copper and copper alloy corrosion inhibitors.
They form a protective film on the metals surface
(Cu2O)especially in the heat transfer units like the radiator and the heater core.
But they also bond with dissolved copper ions in solution and ANY of those particles will eventually drop out of solution for any fluid.

There is no way to tell what type or how much metal is suspended in solution without doing a chemical testing of the fluid.
Eventually any particles in suspension in any fluid will eventually drop out and clog up the mechanism they are in (like my arteries).
Generally speaking, the smaller the openings and larger the particles the faster this process occurs.
That said each vehicle and cooling fluid manufacturer has their recommended schedule for replacement of these fluids.
The vehicle manufactures often recommend changing the fluid more frequently than the fluid manufacturers do.
Time for some red wine to alleviate some of my system build-up.

Old 12-02-2022, 03:14 PM

MR Lobstah...............I am always pleased to see a member that actually looks into a subject or even perhaps has empirical knowledge to post!
As many DIY, professional service shops and dealerships seldom have done regarding crankcase oil, transmission and differential fluids and even. YUP coolant! If simply having had a sample analyzed would have resulted in showing all the contents good, bad and questionable. With regards to coolant most of the samples I had analyzed over the years indicated the failure on the owner of the vehicle to do the minimum service recommendation's and also adding less than the preferred liquids to the colling system which cause the deuteriation of the components in the colling system as well the coolant itself.

One thing that caused a great debate on another automotive forum (not MAZDA) and finally the administrator closed the thread and then deleted it was when I commented that mixing any coolants even when they claim to be compatible can have negative long-term effects on the cooling system. Some of those negative effects is the breakdown of the chemical agents added to the coolants used to reduce or prevent corrosion of vital cooling system parts. Basically, mixing coolant brands is not the best idea IMHO

On my own personal engines, the coolant gets change depending on the service operation of the engine. Generally, the longest I go to is 3 years and no more than 50K miles engines) before a compete fluid and cooling system cleaning. It takes about 2 hours from start to finish. In between if I add any coolant, it is always my mixture of water and 100% coolant verified by the use of a refractometer that measures coolant to water % .

Last edited by Callisto; 12-02-2022 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:30 PM

Hi, I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out what to do. I'm definitely having this heater core issue on my Cx-5. My mechanic quoted me $2700 to replace the heater core. I have yet to talk to the dealership or anyone at Mazda because I'm not sure what to say. My Cx-5 is 10 years old (2014), past it's warranty. I have no idea how to handle this situation without getting absolutely creamed bc it's obvious I don't know anything about cars. please help! How to address this at the dealership? Do I even qualify for reimbursement of any kind? Should I just not even bother going there? I've been to two mechanics already and it's such a big waste of time

Old 03-16-2023, 04:27 PM
Default Flush heater core

Ask your mechanic to flush the heater core rather than replace it. That had worked for me and a friend who has a 2015 CX-5 which had same issue as my 2014 CX-5. Drain cooling system before doing heater core flush and after flush add new coolant to heater core and radiator. Takes about 2.5 hours to do properly.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:14 PM
Default Heater Core Flush didn’t work

Originally Posted by Allend
Ask your mechanic to flush the heater core rather than replace it. That had worked for me and a friend who has a 2015 CX-5 which had same issue as my 2014 CX-5. Drain cooling system before doing heater core flush and after flush add new coolant to heater core and radiator. Takes about 2.5 hours to do properly.
Ive been experiencing this same issue and just had the heater core flushed yesterday. Today the engine light is back on. It looks like I’m going to have to replace the heater core.

Old 12-18-2023, 10:30 AM

After reading all of the above, it appears that the issue is deteriorating heater hoses causing the problems. How often do people replace these? To me, they are a maintenance item..

Old 12-18-2023, 04:21 PM

I'm dealing with a lot of the same issues with my 14 CX5. low/little heat, check engine light related to coolant temperature issues. I replaced the heater core using the under-the-glove-box method, but can't seem to get the old hoses to seal into the new core. I can't figure out how to get the hose/lines through the firewall to just replace these all at once. Lots of plastic housing/stuff there that I can't figure out how to get out of the way to open a space big enough to force the hoses through. Anyone done this?
THANKS!

Old 12-18-2023, 06:18 PM

Looks like there's a retaining clip/plate part that locks the hoses in place. I think that I figured out how to remove it.
Stephen

Originally Posted by boyjeenyus
I'm dealing with a lot of the same issues with my 14 CX5. low/little heat, check engine light related to coolant temperature issues. I replaced the heater core using the under-the-glove-box method, but can't seem to get the old hoses to seal into the new core. I can't figure out how to get the hose/lines through the firewall to just replace these all at once. Lots of plastic housing/stuff there that I can't figure out how to get out of the way to open a space big enough to force the hoses through. Anyone done this?
THANKS!