Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car washes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 07:57 PM
Default Car washes

Greetings fellow CX-5 owners. I'm new to the world of Mazda & the CX-5 is my first NEW car in over 15 years. I purchased a 2021 CX-5 Touring with the Snowflake White Pearl paint.
My question is, are car washes safe for the finish. I used one for my older vehicle that I just sold, without damage to the paint. I'm inquiring as I'm not physically able to wash a car myself.
Thanks for any advice for a newbie (to forums & Mazda)
Liz

Old 08-26-2021, 09:58 PM

Congratulations on your new car. Can you find a brushless or hand car wash so you can avoid the risk of scratching? A good ceramic coating will also help protect the paint. Paint Protection Film and the entire front end would be a good long term investment.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:13 PM

Thank you. I'm really excited about my new car! I will definitely do a search in my local area for a touchless/ hand wash.
What is the ceramic coating & film you mentioned?
Thank you for your help!

Old 08-26-2021, 11:20 PM

Ceramic coating is a polymer "polish" (for lack of a better word) applied to,the paint, in lieu of wax. Lasts much longer, several years, and protects the paint better. Reduces water spotting, etc. A good detailer can apply it, difficult to do if you haven't had experience with it. Paint Protective Film (PPF) is a thin film applied to the surface that will help protect from rock chips, scratches, etc. Specialty shops can apply it. Good idea to cover the front, hood, fenders, fronts of the rear view mirrors.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:41 AM

If you can't wash your car yourself then you'll definitely want a touchless car wash. The issue with any car wash is the harshness of the chemicals used in the soaps. Most are powerful enough to strip the wax coating on your car's paint. Not good.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:34 PM

While some car washes are worse than others, with any car wash - even if you wash it thoroughly by hand - you are essentially applying abrasive agents and harsh chemicals to the paintwork, and the risk of swirls and scratches to the paintwork is always there.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by BrooksMelendez
While some car washes are worse than others, with any car wash - even if you wash it thoroughly by hand - you are essentially applying abrasive agents and harsh chemicals to the paintwork, and the risk of swirls and scratches to the paintwork is always there.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Most available retail cleaners may be abrasive but better quality products used in many Detail shops and if you wash your vehicle properly reduces drastically the formation of swirl marks.

Rinse by Spraying a vehicle completely with water.
Spray forced/pressurized soap mixture completely on vehicle.
Repeat... Rinse by Spraying a vehicle completely with water.
Wash all tire and wheel first using a separate bucket of water and soap and designated washing pad, mitt or glove
Hand wash one panel at a time using a designated washing pad, mitt or glove softest material available.
Rinse panel with water
Rinse designated washing pad, mitt or glove in separate clean water with dirt catcher at the bottom ring out water before reinstalling in bucket with sop mixture.
Repeat the remainder of panels.
During the washing keep the vehicle sprayed down wet to prevent water spots form forming
When all the panels have been washed do a final rinsing of the complete car and tire& wheels

To dry use a combination of lint free cloths design to dry a vehicle and even a squeegee also designed to remove excess water on panels and then a wile follow up.

This way of hand washing even on a black painted vehicle will reduce swirl marks to almost none existence. What does form can easily be polished in minutes with a soft polishing liquid and a lint free cloth.

Old 06-18-2022, 05:50 PM
CEB

Originally Posted by BrooksMelendez
I've put many, many vehicles through many, many full service (brushless) car washes and never have experienced damage to the vehicle or the paint. I wash my own as often as I feel up to it. Not because a fear of damage to the vehicle or the paint but, I do a far better job than the car wash.

Old 06-19-2022, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Most available retail cleaners may be abrasive but better quality products used in many Detail shops and if you wash your vehicle properly reduces drastically the formation of swirl marks.

Rinse by Spraying a vehicle completely with water.
Spray forced/pressurized soap mixture completely on vehicle.
Repeat... Rinse by Spraying a vehicle completely with water.
Wash all tire and wheel first using a separate bucket of water and soap and designated washing pad, mitt or glove
Hand wash one panel at a time using a designated washing pad, mitt or glove softest material available.
Rinse panel with water
Rinse designated washing pad, mitt or glove in separate clean water with dirt catcher at the bottom ring out water before reinstalling in bucket with sop mixture.
Repeat the remainder of panels.
During the washing keep the vehicle sprayed down wet to prevent water spots form forming
When all the panels have been washed do a final rinsing of the complete car and tire& wheels

To dry use a combination of lint free cloths design to dry a vehicle and even a squeegee also designed to remove excess water on panels and then a wile follow up.

This way of hand washing even on a black painted vehicle will reduce swirl marks to almost none existence. What does form can easily be polished in minutes with a soft polishing liquid and a lint free cloth.
Excellent and thorough advice. Only bug-a-boo is that the OP said he is physically unable to wash his car. Good advice for others seeking to best clean their cars.

Old 06-19-2022, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by CEB
I've put many, many vehicles through many, many full service (brushless) car washes and never have experienced damage to the vehicle or the paint. I wash my own as often as I feel up to it. Not because a fear of damage to the vehicle or the paint but, I do a far better job than the car wash.
While the better car washes won't damage the paint, the chemicals they use will strip whatever protection is on the car - wax/sealant/coating. It may take just one of a few such washes, but the protection will be at best, greatly diminished. Yes, the cars will look and feel clean, but you are almost 100% guaranteed to get swirl marks either by the "brushes/towels" washing the car, but more likely when the car is hand dried. In fairness, most people just want a clean/shiny car and aren't too concerned about swirl marks, so a carwash works for them. I'm way more aware of what they can do and I'd rather wash the car properly and safely myself, others/most think differently.

Quick Reply: Car washes