Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car power and electrical died while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 12:37 PM
Default Car power and electrical died while driving...

I was driving to work last night and suddenly everything in my 2016 CX5 shut off. Powertrain, all electrical, everything. When I went to restart it, the ignition button was flashing orange and nothing happened. When I turned the headlights off I was able to restart it but all of abs and traction control warning lights remained on. And everything immediately died again as soon as I turned the headlights on. I messed around with settings and figured out that I could turn the parking lights on without it dying but noticed that when I used any additional power (windshield wipers, turn signals, etc) a bunch of the dashboard warning lights came on. I called the dealer and got the soonest appointment I could (Monday 11/26). In the meantime I've been driving it to work and have been able to get the headlights to work without it shutting down. However I noticed that one of the headlights seems to be out. Also the engine warning light is now on. Just wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues? A few other details I've observed: when I initially start driving only the engine warning light is on (solid not flashing) but when I get over about 15mph the abs and traction control lights as well as other random lights like the airbag dash light come on. When I slow to a stop they go off. Also the power steering is intermittently working. I'm pretty sure it's an electrical issue (obviously) but wondering if it's an electrical ground thing or maybe the alternator or battery. I'd just like to have an idea of what to expect from the dealer when I take the car in. It only has 15k miles and is fully covered by the warranty and an extended total confidence warranty. Hoping no long term damage has been done to anything and that I won't have to pay anything out of pocket. Thanks for your help everyone!

Old 11-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Sounds to me like you have a loose battery terminal connection. Check your battery and that the terminals connected to it are tight and not loose. This can cause all kinds of cr*p.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:07 PM
Default Couple follow up questions

Thanks for your reply, I checked the battery and didn't notice any obvious loose connections. However I'm not exactly great with cars and noticed that there only seems to be one visible set of wires which is connected to the rear terminal (closest to the interior of car). Those wires all seem to be solidly connected and intact. The other terminal (the one with the red flip up cover over it) doesn't appear to have any visible wires attached. I'm assuming this is normal and that the connection is internal or something Sorry for my ignorance, I'm sure my lack of expertise is painfully obvious lol. I can upload a picture of the battery if it helps. It would be great if I was able to resolve this issue on my own so at least I wouldn't have to drive it to the dealer with an unreliable vehicle that is randomly acting up. Thanks again!

Old 05-21-2021, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by SeanV
Thanks for your reply, I checked the battery and didn't notice any obvious loose connections. However I'm not exactly great with cars and noticed that there only seems to be one visible set of wires which is connected to the rear terminal (closest to the interior of car). Those wires all seem to be solidly connected and intact. The other terminal (the one with the red flip up cover over it) doesn't appear to have any visible wires attached. I'm assuming this is normal and that the connection is internal or something Sorry for my ignorance, I'm sure my lack of expertise is painfully obvious lol. I can upload a picture of the battery if it helps. It would be great if I was able to resolve this issue on my own so at least I wouldn't have to drive it to the dealer with an unreliable vehicle that is randomly acting up. Thanks again!
Did you find out what it was? My 2014 model is doing exactly this?

Old 05-21-2021, 07:40 PM
Default Hope this helps...

Originally Posted by Codi Barry
Did you find out what it was? My 2014 model is doing exactly this?
Apparently it was a loose ground wire connection. I think while taking a hard turn I must have somehow dislodged the wire and it was randomly contacting something metal. This was awhile ago now and the exact details are kind of hazy. Hope it helps.