Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin Air / Engine Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 11:48 PM

Project Farm did a comparison of engine air filters that was interesting to those that care to look.

Last edited by Dennis Wendt; 05-21-2022 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Project Farm did a comparison of engine air filters that was interesting to those that care to look.
ya we saw that when it first came out and its a good video I do like (do not always agree with them) their videos but like most similar the testing was not as accurate or very controlled.
If you really want to know what K&N thought about that one and many other contact them directly. Please post up what they respond with! I already know what your will receive.

I might also point out that this thread is about CABIN FILTERs which is totally different from a Engine air intake filter.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:44 PM

Hi, Dennis. Thanks for posting that link. I have used a K&N air filter on a race car and found it worked great for that. Needed a lot of air flow for the large twin carbs. I don't use them on street cars because i don't think they filter as well as I'd like for normal driving. But on two of my cars i use a reusable filter, but with better filtering ability.

I don't think that's a issue with a cabin air filter since any particulates only come into the cabin. but in looking closely at the K&N cabin filter compared with the original, I'm confident it will filter at least as well with it's electrostatic nature while allowing more air flow into the cabin. Time will tell.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:21 PM

Replaced my air filter today, after 1 year, 13k miles. I used a WIX WA9790, cost a little over $30 with shipping from Rock Auto. Comparing the two they appear to be identical, same number of pleats, material looked and felt the same. Holding them up to the light produced the same light passing thru (except the old was a little cloudier, even where i cleaned it). The old one is on the left.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
Replaced my air filter today, after 1 year, 13k miles. I used a WIX WA9790, cost a little over $30 with shipping from Rock Auto. Comparing the two they appear to be identical, same number of pleats, material looked and felt the same. Holding them up to the light produced the same light passing thru (except the old was a little cloudier, even where i cleaned it). The old one is on the left.
Cabin filters are greater performance supporting because of the AC, when even small amount of flow are reduced you can effect not only the temperature in the cabin but also a raise in the under hood temperatures. I have yet to understand why so many wait so long to change them. The average person in the shops history for cabin filter service is about 30K miles or 2-5 years! Not kidding!

As for you not using a K&N on the street , I would say stay off the internet for your information on their filtering capabilities. Your comments are influence by less than accurate and complete information and DATA on their performance levels.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:41 AM

Callisto, I guess I wasn't clear in my posting, I was talking about replacing the engine air filter, not the cabin air filter. I replaced the cabin air filter a few weeks earlier with a K&N cabin filter (posted a little earlier about that). I didn't comment about K&N here so not sure why you posed about my comment being influenced by less than accurate information.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:54 AM

Hi, Dennis. Thanks for posting that link. I have used a K&N air filter on a race car and found it worked great for that. Needed a lot of air flow for the large twin carbs. I don't use them on street cars because i don't think they filter as well as I'd like for normal driving. But on two of my cars i use a reusable filter, but with better filtering ability.

I don't think that's a issue with a cabin air filter since any particulates only come into the cabin. but in looking closely at the K&N cabin filter compared with the original, I'm confident it will filter at least as well with it's electrostatic nature while allowing more air flow into the cabin. Time will tell.
Ya you did comment! Here let me refresh your memory !

But never the less I use BOTH K&N on my engines specifically the MAZDA and also K&N cabin Filters.

The down side is for a few months when we get fires here in CA I am down wind and need to change or clean the cabin filter at times weekly even sooner! So I opt to buy a case of 12 inexpensive cabin filters that I can change in less than a minute rather having to clean the K&N.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:13 AM

I've used K&N filters, and they do what they say they will. However, I can't see any benefit from them on engines. Unless you're running at WOT, you just don't need that much air flow. Cabin filters, I change them regularly, but didn't know K&N made them. The oiled media seems like it ought to capture smaller pollen grains than a cloth filter. So, while I'm not towing a heavy load or trailer uphill at WOT, the K&N may be more effective for folks with alergies.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Grouch
I've used K&N filters, and they do what they say they will. However, I can't see any benefit from them on engines. Unless you're running at WOT, you just don't need that much air flow. Cabin filters, I change them regularly, but didn't know K&N made them. The oiled media seems like it ought to capture smaller pollen grains than a cloth filter. So, while I'm not towing a heavy load or trailer uphill at WOT, the K&N may be more effective for folks with alergies.
OK so airfilter dont really increase air flow they support the CFM an engine generates depending on the throttle plate position and inductive system!
Going into the oil or none oil treated filters is where MYTH began years ago all the way back before K&N, when oil foam air filters (neck named GREEN Weenies) where "THE THING" on what was called than "DIRT BIKES".

The next interest and I hope not a MYTH starter is cabin filter protecting from allergens. None anywhere on the market advertise or give material specification that they do so. Most DO NOT even tell you anything other then dust only filtering capacity. Even though K&N uses MEDICAL GRADE material for their air filters they do not imply ,suggest or advertise anything except a washable air specifically in this conversation cabin filter.

The K&N is a economy investment if you keep you vehicle for more then say 5 years or more. The cost of replacing cabin filters with medium quality filters will exceed the one time cost of a K&N. The K&N cabin filter can be washed with simple and safe product like simple green or a small amount of clothing detergent , few drops in water to help lower the surface tension of water thus helping the water to clean the filter.
I apply DWD2 clean air freshener or Fresh Citrus with all natural ingredients and none aerosol .

Old 06-16-2022, 10:50 AM

POst # 146

Mazda3 Things I like to do - Page 15 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Originally Posted by Callisto
The CabinFilter is needing cleaning again

Although where I live there is no fires I still get the results of all the ash that is carried hundreds of miles from the big fires here in California. The interior of my Mazda was starting to smell like ash/smoke even though I have used only re-circulation setting. I just cleaned the cabinfilter 5 days and 65 miles ago and look at what it has collected. Well it clean again and the interior is fresh smelling.... again!

At first glance it only looks like a small amount of debris.

I placed a clean white paper and tapped the filter a few times.

This may look like dirt but it is mostly ASH!

Ash it the the worst partials to get into the fresh air system because it is not dust dust but a semi soft paste that will coat everything. The only way to clean this if it gets into the ducts is soap and water and wiping it out. Thank fully I have only been using re-circulation and can easily remove the wiper arm cover to access the intake primary duct to clean it after the smash filled sky has cleared and return to normal around here. o

After washing the Mazda the other day I was going to also wash the engine down. Unfortunately the smoke and ash in the shy was still falling enough that I would not have been able to leave the hood open for the engine to dry out. I did notice that I was getting that really fine brownish dust/dirt accumulating in several area's of the engine compartment. You can see in a couple of the pictures that dust was on intake boot and the seal edge of the air filter. So off came the filter for a cleaning.

I use K&N air filter on just about anything that draws in filtered air. I was really surprised how the first rinsing the water was showing brownish colored water.

After letting the air filter wick out over night a little touch up of missed area of the new oil and I was almost ready to re-install. I wiped the inlet pipe just in case, but as I already knew not even worth mentioning, not a single bit of dirt. Lol. So the air-filter is clean and all back in its place under the MAZDA hood.

Quick Reply: Cabin Air / Engine Air Filters