Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

"Automatic" Driver Seat Recline

Old 09-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Taz
Default "Automatic" Driver Seat Recline

Hello,

We have a 2016 CX-5 with the power drivers seat. In the last several months, it's developed a strange habit of reclining itself without any input to the switch. It never happens when we can witness it, but if you park the vehicle and leave it for a few hours or overnight, the seat will have reclined to somewhere between a moderate amount to almost fully reclined. It doesn't do this consistently or does there seem to be any type of "trigger" that makes it happen. And no, this model doesn't have any type of a seat memory. I've also checked the proximity of the adjust switch to potential human contact on exiting the vehicle and that doesn't seem to be a likely cause, either. The local dealers are useless and say they can't duplicate the problem, hence nothing can be done about it. We documented the issue a couple of weeks before the warranty expired at the beginning of this month. The $%^@# service advisor went so far as to ask my wife "Did you Google it? I've never heard of this happening before." He's lucky it wasn't me or I'd have gone for his jugular vein because it's THEIR job to Google things - not the customer.

So anyway, has anyone else encountered this paranormal type of activity?

Thanks!

Last edited by Taz; 09-09-2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Old 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Taz

Actually, I did. I and found the TSB you referenced though seeing it was from the 2014 model year, wasn't sure whether it would be applicable to the 2016. There was no information other than it could possibly be due to leg contact with the switch when exiting the vehicle. My understanding of the switch is that it only works when there's pressure on it so it wouldn't make sense that it reclines as far as it does since the exit process only takes a couple of seconds. The seat just doesn't recline that fast. So with that being said, I thought I would come here in hopes of finding more information that I could produce for the dealer. Again, not really my job but it seems good heal is hard to find these days.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:45 AM

I just bought a new to me 2017 and had a good experience with the dealer here in FL. Let me call the Service Advisor who seems knowledgeable and ask the question.

Good luck with trying to resolve.

Jim Detroit Native

Old 09-10-2018, 03:14 AM

Taz, On my first cup of coffee. I did a search on google and found a few post that sounds like the same type of problem you are experiencing.

Found a TSB for 2014 models that sounds a lot like the problem.

NHTSA # 10053756 Service Bulletin # SB-09-020-13.

Hope this is something you can use to get the dealer to review.

Regards,
Jim

Old 09-10-2018, 07:25 AM

Are you sure that it isn't someone playing a practical joke on you?

Old 09-14-2018, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5
Are you sure that it isn't someone playing a practical joke on you?
While reading through this thread, I was thinking the same thing.

I have a very good friend who is married and has been for over 30 years. His wife is the type that never plays tricks on him, however.......

Last year, and she kept this going for almost a year, she started playing a huge joke on him. He had a little stuffed toy dog that he always kept in his pick up truck. She started moving it around to different locations, usually at night while he was sleeping but not always.

Several times, she went to his work place and moved the pup. In fact, once or twice, she completely removed the toy and it went missing for a few days.

Just to make sure he never suspected her, she had his brother in on the joke. When my friend and his wife would go somewhere together, using his truck, she would contact him and let him know where the truck would be parked. His brother was given a truck key by my friend's wife.

Even though I was in on this joke, I never actually participated because we live about 30 miles apart. Mike, my friend, would call me once in a while during this "Joke" period telling me about the latest pup antic. He was finally convinced that he had some kind of spirit following him around causing the pup to move. I mean, sometimes we would have hour long conversations about this and he was concerned that he was either haunted or going crazy. It was all I could do to keep from laughing.

However, it started getting serious. His wife began to be concerned for his health as this joke had become something that Mike was focused on almost all the time. I convinced her that she had to tell him because I was also getting concerned.

Mike was really angry when she did confess but eventually got over it. I never let him know that I also knew about it.

Last edited by David Paul; 09-14-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:13 PM

Some people have too much time on their hands for extensive practical jokes.

I would think that the 2016 and 2014 CX-5 are similar enough that the solution for the 2014 should be fully considered before looking to much further. After that, It sounds to me like a short in a wire, switch or connection somewhere in the system. It will be hard to track down since it is intermittent. It may also be happening when you are driving but the movement is so slight or seldom that you may not notice.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
Some people have too much time on their hands for extensive practical jokes.

I would think that the 2016 and 2014 CX-5 are similar enough that the solution for the 2014 should be fully considered before looking to much further. After that, It sounds to me like a short in a wire, switch or connection somewhere in the system. It will be hard to track down since it is intermittent. It may also be happening when you are driving but the movement is so slight or seldom that you may not notice.
As far as practical jokes are concerned, yes, some people have too much time on their hands, not to mention, some people have a sense of humor.

As far as "shorts" are concerned, that's not likely, unless he is continuously blowing fuses.