Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change ... "flexible" or "fixed" setting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 04:29 PM
Default Oil change ... "flexible" or "fixed" setting?

I'm getting close to 5k miles on my CX-5 GT so I cracked the manual to see what the deal is with oil change recommendations. I noticed that owner can actually change the computer setting to "fixed" or "Flexible" so the wrench icon will come on when the engine measures minimum oil life left as opposed to every 10k miles. And then the owner can apparently reset the computer as opposed to the dealer/mechanic being the only way to get that done. Am I reading this right? If so way cool. I am also leery of a 10k oil change. I know that the synthetics are great now days and most new cars are at 10k intervals but it seems long to me. I know the recommendations change a bit based on driving conditions but I think I'm going to change out the first batch at 5k miles.

Thoughts?

Old 10-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

First oil change? Sure go ahead and change it at 5k.
After, don't waste your money when using synths. I run 10-15k on high quality syths and they are still quite serviceable when dumped.
One thing you might consider doing though is changing the filter more regularly and then topping off. I change filters every 5k.
As far as your electronic quagmire is concerned, I really know nothing about it. But if the manual says.... Mazda should know, right?

Edit: Oh, and don't forget to prime any new filter before installing it.

Last edited by virgin1; 10-15-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:32 PM

Let me add that using the Mazda-branded and recommended "super-moly" oil is a worthwhile investment too. It's not that much more than conventional full-synthetics and I (like many others) noticed a bump in gas mileage after the first change. Not all dealers stock it, so make sure you ask for it by name if you let them do it, or it's available for less on line if you DIY.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:58 PM

You said you read the manual. You may want to re-read it again. It has all your answers.

Last edited by fvansan; 10-15-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by fvansan
You said you read the manual. You may want to re-read it again. It has all your answers.
Yep.. we all know those manuals are always on the money. You work for Mazda?

Old 10-15-2015, 11:41 PM

Actually, he said he "cracked the manual". Big difference from reading it!

Old 10-16-2015, 04:32 AM
Banned

Yeah, need to check manual very well. Might he'll get his solution from there.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by montanaman
I'm getting close to 5k miles on my CX-5 GT so I cracked the manual to see what the deal is with oil change recommendations. I noticed that owner can actually change the computer setting to "fixed" or "Flexible" so the wrench icon will come on when the engine measures minimum oil life left as opposed to every 10k miles. And then the owner can apparently reset the computer as opposed to the dealer/mechanic being the only way to get that done. Am I reading this right? If so way cool. I am also leery of a 10k oil change. I know that the synthetics are great now days and most new cars are at 10k intervals but it seems long to me. I know the recommendations change a bit based on driving conditions but I think I'm going to change out the first batch at 5k miles.

Thoughts?
Mazda dealers do first oil change at 5k for free. I would do first one at a dealer location. And the rest every 10k with a good oil.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by mazdamazdamazda

Mazda dealers do first oil change at 5k for free. I would do first one at a dealer location. And the rest every 10k with a good oil.
Only some dealers do the first change for free; ours did not.