Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM

I'm getting along much better with the NAV unit nowadays. Just had to figure out POI for voice have to be major places like CVS or Home Depot, I think I was expecting it to act like Google and know everything. In fact it is easiest to find an address via Google on the smartphone then just plug it into the NAV unit. It does a good job of getting me around once it knows where it is going.

Did anyone get the firmware update notice and install it a month or so ago? Once thing i noticed is the NAV unit does at least ask now if it has picked the right place to go that I asked via the voice command, so I can at least say cancel (do that a lot).

Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by just cruisin'
I love the NAV system. It works like a charm for me.

My issue is with night mode. Even though I have the display option set to "auto", the NAV does not go into night mode (black background instead of the green grass) at night.

I can put it in night mode manually and then it works but it doesn't seem to do it automatically. Anyone else having this problem???
Nav not going into auto night mode: my dealer just solved this for me. With the headlights on (must be done at night) turn the odometer reset **** a little to the left. That **** controls the brightness of the dash lights and when turned all the way to the right it keeps them, and the nav system, at the daytime bright. Good to see I wasn't the only one thrown by this!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 AM

I have great luck with voice addresses, probably about 95% or better. I yard sale a lot so I say 40 addresses or more a week. The secret seems to be to talk in a not-too-loud consistent volume with a pause between each part of the address and to say each digit of street number separate. i.e. one two three main street <pause> anytown <pause> Maryland).

When I first got the CX-5 in May 2013 the nav would crash all the time, but getting a firmware update resolved it (I don't think it has crashed in 3 months). It did go through a time of nagging about sending data back to TomTom every time it was powered on, regardless of how settings were set, but that was fixed with that "urgent" e-mail update we received. My only gripe is with the stupid safety-lock that will cause more accidents than it prevents (see rant below).

Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 AM

just tried to update my maps and when i put the memory card back it just sat there icon spinning. called tomtom and they had me reload maps again, same thing. this time tomtom had me delete files and reformatted sd card. again same thing. tomtom now says i need to go to dealer and have them reformat or replace the system. lets see how this plays out. good luck with this one.
other then the crappy voice recognition the car is great.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 AM

The nagging about sending data to TomTom is back. And if I (husband!) answers NO just once, traffic disappears until you pull out the SD card and reinsert. The default is ENABLED in setup but it nags every time the car starts anyway.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 AM

Spaddy
I had a similar issue after doing the recommend maps update.
It took me a few reboots to get it to work.
The problem now for you is trying to do a differential diagnosis.
Is it a software problem ? Or is it an electronic problem ?
By bringing it back to the dealer they could just pop another sd card in there and see if it works. Then it works you know it's a software problem or possibly a defective sd card.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:54 AM

dealer called tomtom to verify then they called mazdaUSA and they recommended a new sd card and head unit. on order should be in tuesday. dealer was pretty sure its the unit due to the voice recognition still not working properally. and now the sd card is missing data from being deleted per tomtom it was easier to replace all.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by spaddy
dealer called tomtom to verify then they called mazdaUSA and they recommended a new sd card and head unit. on order should be in tuesday. dealer was pretty sure its the unit due to the voice recognition still not working properally. and now the sd card is missing data from being deleted per tomtom it was easier to replace all.
how's your system now? because that speech recognition wasn't just a problem with your unit, its a problem with tomtoms software...

Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM
Default If you use other Voices the street names no longer work

If we select a Australian voice (Non-Computer) the streets are no longer announced even if I select the computer voice for announcing street names.

When I use the Australian voice the distance when you get close to a turn is given in yards not feet.

The GPS will not say turn at the turn 15 seconds before you are to turn.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Traffic updates are good when:-

1) It works

2) When your dealer finally agrees there is a SIM card inside, and this is not the SD card.

I had free traffic for the 1st 3 months. Found it invaluable. Renewed 1st December at £55. First journey taken after update M6 was closed all day, there was no warning on the radio before I was due to join from the A556, but the TomTom identified the issue, plotted a new route and saved me sitting at Knutsford for several hours. That one episode paid (in my opinion) for the annual renewal.

Mid February live traffic suddenly died on me. Had been a bit hit & miss, but I blamed that on the vagaries of the cell-phone network.

Went through the tests on the screen, found all was gone regards Live Services, screens greyed-out and the signal bars for the Sim-Card greyed-out as well.

Phoned my dealer & he tried to suggest I carry out an SD card update, but had already been done by me the day before. I explained the issue was probably around a Sim-Card issue, but he was having none of it as he tried to tell me I was confusing a Sim-Card with an SD card. I explained I had a fleet of vans with trackers, and they all use Sim-Cards, I knew this because I had replaced them myself about a year ago. I tried to explain further that is how the device receives & sends back reports. He talked to me as if I was stupid!

I called TomTom, spoke to a nice young lady in Amsterdam (English was her mother tongue) She talked me through all I had already tried for myself, and agreed there must be either a Sim-Card or unit problem, she e-mailed me a case report, (which came into my Samsung Galaxy whilst I was on the phone to her) She advised me to send this e-mail to my dealer & arrange an appointment to have the unit replaced. She also confirmed that there is indeed a Sim-Card on the Vodaphone network

So, I phone dealer and he tells me I have to take the car in for investigation. I explained the history and TomTom conversation as well as forwarding the e-mail, but he insisted I still need to call in and leave the car for a whole day. I was not happy as it was patently obvious what the trouble was, and all he needed to do was simply order a replacement unit. He promised he would get the service manager to call me back; that never happened!

Next day the dealers salesman phoned me at home asking to speak to my wife, as her Mazda 2 was coming up for 3 years old I guessed he was about to try and sell her a replacement. Big mistake on his part as I let him have it about the events of the day before & that I was promised a phone call. He apologised and advised I will get the call later that day.

After about 2 hours, I get the call from the service manager, he like his predecessor tried to tell me I had mistakenly called the SD card a Sim-Card. Again he was not having any of it regards my suggested procedure & actually told me he cannot go by what a customer tells him, but by what Mazda says. I offered a compromise that I would take the car along for him to look inside, so he could suck through his teeth and tell me what I already knew. He didn't like that and advised he was not prepared to do that I must leave it there all day.

I had to capitulate & wait over a week for this appointment, leave the car on site, only for him to tell me exactly the same as I had told him over a week before. New device ordered!

I am now at their mercy as to when they get hold of the replacement unit. Will be interesting to see if they managed to keep my latest edition and to make allowances for the break in service as I will need the live traffic service to be extended by the period of inactivity.

That will be fun.

The car is brilliant, TomTom not so good but my experience with my Dealer sucks!

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?