Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Default Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?

OK, I tried it for the first time and actually gave up after 15 minutes. Can it really be that bad?

I worked for multiple GPS nav makers, so I'm a little picky but my God.

I'm going to read the manual and try again.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:14 PM

First time I used it, I fumbled for about 10 minutes. First big mistake for me was trying to use the voice commands.

I've used it a couple times since (not using voice recognition) and it's worked better. But I agree, most nav systems you don't need a manual the first time.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM

no its not just you, i've used other gps systems before and this by far is one of the worst, especially when it comes to voice recognition
even using the screen its sorely lacking in options and capability
not to mention the pathetic POI selection

this is the one really displeasing portion of my purchase of an otherwise fine vehicle

Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM

Our Son has a Speed 3 and he told us about his nav system so we got our CX5 without the nav system, sounds like our choice of staying with Garmin was a good one.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:01 PM

I don't have one. As far as I know the software is TomTom. If you're not used to using that kind of nav system then you're likely to have less success with it than you would were you to already be familiar with the system.

That said, I don't use voice rec on my ($35) discreete nav system so I have no clue how bad voice rec is.

In general I have found few systems (not just nav systems) to have GOOD voice rec at this time. Most are middling to poor.

*shrug*

Old 04-18-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by MathewR
I don't have one. As far as I know the software is TomTom. If you're not used to using that kind of nav system then you're likely to have less success with it than you would were you to already be familiar with the system.

That said, I don't use voice rec on my ($35) discreete nav system so I have no clue how bad voice rec is.

In general I have found few systems (not just nav systems) to have GOOD voice rec at this time. Most are middling to poor.

*shrug*
the voice rec on my evo works pretty good, especially in google nav

Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Angry Voice recognition

[quote=rodster13;128014]OK, I tried it for the first time and actually gave up after 15 minutes. Can it really be that bad? "
XXXXXXX

I agree. For amusement, one can speak an address and then listen to the NAV system "Did you say" followed by a complete misinterpretation of your words.

Also, the vehicle is warranted for years, but your TomTom map updates are only free for 60 Days!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:38 AM

well after several phone calls to tomtom and mazda i have to encourage everyone to make a mymazda.com account and send in a complaint thru the contact in there about the shoddy voice recognition
its painfully obvious tomtom just rushed this pos out the door, the more of us that complain the more likely mazda is to come down hard on their supplier for making them look bad

make sure you state that its a comprehension problem on the part of the software, it doesn't interpret names or address properly (part of it owing to the crappy poi selection)
and mention the crappy poi selection and its lack of versatility with no sub categories for things like restaurants, there isn't even a grocery/supermarket category
also the ridiculous part of it automatically trying to navigate wherever it thought you were trying to say with out confirming it first or letting you display a list of poi options for you to choose from when you ask for one

i've already been to tier2 with tomtom who are calling me back on friday morning after i try a couple of their suggestions (which didn't really make much difference) and with a customer service assistant at mazda

Old 05-02-2012, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestion av8or, this GPS is really bad at the moment. Particularly the part that it doesn't ask if the route is correct, it just goes for it.

I say xxx golf course, it jumps right into a route to El Pollo Loco. I have the girlfriend try xxx golf course, it now jumps into a route to the zoo, 30 miles ahead - WOW, that's not bad, it's broke. We eventually got to the golf course by using my phones Google Navigator. We say xxx golf course, map came right up on the phone. Using that address from the phone and voice it into the CX-5 tomtom and it now knows where it is going. The whole experience was crazy.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Default Mazda needs to own up and do a firmware update.

This is my expectation based on the pride that goes into a new design.
The units crashes constantly. A couple of errant commands and it locks up.
Why let this P.O.S. ruin the user experience?

Anyone at Mazda listening?

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?