Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Android Auto Will Not Pair

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 09:07 PM

Hi all,
In my case, factory reset did not solve the problem. What was happening was:
1. The car was on
2. Android auto was running on the phone
3. I connect the usb to the special usb slot on the car (with a picture of a phone on it).
4. The phone would instantly close AA, taking me back to the home screen. The Mazda screen put a message saying something like "To connect Android Auto, stop the car and follow the prompts on the Android device." And the only button said "Cancel"

And if I pulled out the cable and put it back in again, the same thing was happening.

How I fixed it was:
1. On the phone go to settings
2. Tap "Connected Devices"
3. Tap "Connection Preferences"
4. Then there was a option "Driving Mode" and it was off. So I turned it ON. Driving Mode has to be on.
5. I think then I pulled out the cable and plugged it in again. And THIS time the AA gave me a screen full of agreements, which I accepted.
6. Answer all the questions that the phone asks and agree to things.
7. I think then the Mazda screen said "Do you want to connect to Android Auto?". I clicked yes - then it all started working.

So really the key was to switch on "Driving mode".

Old 09-26-2020, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
This conversation confirms two of my assumptions about Mazda.
  • The problems we encounter with our Mazdas are typically easy to solve - unlike other vehicles.
  • The dealership service staff are not trained on technology.
    • I had a dealership tell me they needed to replace the entire computer system to solve a GPS problem.
      • I reset the system to the factory defaults and have not had a problem since.

Congratulations on solving your problem. Enjoy your new Mazda.
You are correct, we have had zero training or training material for Android Auto/Apple carplay.
We don't even get new model training anymore.
Half the time we don't even know what features are on each car when the customer complains.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
You are correct, we have had zero training or training material for Android Auto/Apple carplay.
We don't even get new model training anymore.
Half the time we don't even know what features are on each car when the customer complains.
That's some seriously bleak insider information on Mazda's lack of commitment to quality service of their vehicles. Not in any way doubting what you wrote, but I'm wondering if this could be caused by your dealership failing to request service information from Mazda Corporate, or perhaps not passing along what they do get. But if you're certain that's not the case, then do you have any idea if this is just happing in your country, or if it's global problem?

Old 09-26-2020, 04:46 PM

Nice phone fix! Good step through!

thank God, I use Apple!

Old 09-27-2020, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

9/10 Bluetooth issues I see at work are apple phones.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:45 AM
Default New OS update messed with my USB Cable settings

After hours of frustration, the person above who mentioned cable settings saved me. After the last update, my pixel 4 would no longer recognize being connected to my CX5. Based on the advice above, I connected my phone to the cable with the CX5 on, went to connection settings on the phone, and sure enough data transfer had been flipped to "off.". I flipped it on, reloaded my car into AA and everything seems to be working again. Very frustrated with Google over this. So many people wasting so much time...