Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android Auto Will Not Pair

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 07:33 PM
Default Android Auto Will Not Pair

2019 CX-5 Touring. Eternal Blue. Bought it today. I loved the drive home, but I am sad to already have an appointment with service.

The salesman was helping me connect the audio. The Bluetooth paired with my phone just fine, but the Android Auto would not. Then someone with more experience tried to help. We tried three different cables and two different phones, both Motorolla, G4 Play and a G6 Play.

It actually flashed up three different times, so we know it tried, but it didn't stay on. The first time it came up it told me the car needed to have the emergency brake set to complete the pairing. The other two times it was obviously aware of the phone, but then that went away. I uninstalled and reinstalled AA on my phone. Installed fresh on my husband's phone. Everything was allowed access. I can't think of anything else we tried.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Any friend who has an iPhone? Might want to see if Apple Carplay works or not.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:22 PM

Then I could listen to content from their phone? I will give it a try out of curiosity, but I will not change phone o/s.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:48 PM

Did you enable Android Auto in the settings on your Mazda? I had to do that when setting it up for the first time.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by spchin24
Did you enable Android Auto in the settings on your Mazda? I had to do that when setting it up for the first time.
Is there an enabling process? When we were trying to connect, the AA was on the screen below the Bluetooth and Apple "links" but it was greyed out and not clickable. When we connected the Bluetooth it was highlighted and worked fine. They seemed to know what they were doing, but it didn't work. I read some instructions and it seems the car should recognize that the phone wants to connect to AA and activate on its own.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by SandyCWV
Then I could listen to content from their phone? I will give it a try out of curiosity, but I will not change phone o/s.
No, just to check if another phone/OS works or not.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by SandyCWV
Is there an enabling process? When we were trying to connect, the AA was on the screen below the Bluetooth and Apple "links" but it was greyed out and not clickable. When we connected the Bluetooth it was highlighted and worked fine. They seemed to know what they were doing, but it didn't work. I read some instructions and it seems the car should recognize that the phone wants to connect to AA and activate on its own.
I have the same car almost the same phone and also could not activate android auto. What wound up solving the problem after two visits to the dealer and no results, I called Motorola and told them my problem and asked them if there was a way to change the settings for the USB cable, there is, and I changed it from “charge only “ to “transfer files “, after that I uninstalled AA, reinstalled it, granted all the permissions and then all the instructions appeared on the car screen and everything worked.
So try going into your phone settings and go into connected devices and click on USB. You do need to have the cable connected to change the settings.
Good luck.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the reply! That explains a lot. I messed around with my phone and do remember changing that setting, but didn't associate it to why AA started working all of a sudden. LOL I checked the connection the morning that I was taking it to the dealer for service and everything worked. Went to the service appointment anyway and the technician thought I was crazy. He obviously had very little experience with AA, but was happy I had solved my own problem, though I had NO idea what fixed it.
Now I do! Thanks again and I hope this helps someone else in the future.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:13 AM

This conversation confirms two of my assumptions about Mazda.
  • The problems we encounter with our Mazdas are typically easy to solve - unlike other vehicles.
  • The dealership service staff are not trained on technology.
    • I had a dealership tell me they needed to replace the entire computer system to solve a GPS problem.
      • I reset the system to the factory defaults and have not had a problem since.

Congratulations on solving your problem. Enjoy your new Mazda.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by CXmold
I have the same car almost the same phone and also could not activate android auto. What wound up solving the problem after two visits to the dealer and no results, I called Motorola and told them my problem and asked them if there was a way to change the settings for the USB cable, there is, and I changed it from “charge only “ to “transfer files “, after that I uninstalled AA, reinstalled it, granted all the permissions and then all the instructions appeared on the car screen and everything worked.
So try going into your phone settings and go into connected devices and click on USB. You do need to have the cable connected to change the settings.
Good luck.
Thank you CXmold. You are a genius!

Quick Reply: Android Auto Will Not Pair