Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 cx-5 purchase questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 11:19 AM
Default 2023 cx-5 purchase questions

Hello new to the forum and looking at purchasing this vehicle

A few questions for some feed back , appreciate your responses

Is rustproofing at the dealerships worth it , specifically the underneath sealant not the box sensor device ?

Is the NAV add on necessary or just use Android auto with google maps or Waze ?

Old 07-02-2023, 11:34 AM

Both are personal preference. Some love the undercoating sprays in areas of the world like yours, some don't.

As for the nav card. You can get one online for a lot less(50-75 bucks), but it won't update due to Mazda's programming. The card is mainly useful for the speed limit indicator to me. I rarely use the nav function as I like AA.

Old 07-02-2023, 11:54 AM

If you need the undercoating where you live you can get it much cheaper from independent shops like Ziebart and not have to pay the dealer markup. The dealership most likely uses an independent shop anyway so you are getting the same deal for less money. As to the NAV card as already mentioned you can use your phone and Android Auto or CarPlay for free (and far preferable to me than the card).

Old 07-02-2023, 11:57 AM

Thanks

Old 07-02-2023, 01:10 PM

Geeman Welcome to the forum

Old 07-02-2023, 01:14 PM

You may think about the undercoating. The plastic chassis panels pretty much cover everything and the remaining areas are so small it may not really be worth spending the money. Have a look under any new Mazda from 2014 to present.
This goes pretty much with other platforms as well.

Old 07-02-2023, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Geeman Welcome to the forum
Much appreciated to all replies

Old 07-02-2023, 08:07 PM

Ime, the ziebart and rubberized coatings were ok on previous vehicle...just coat it once and dont recoat as recoating traps the salt and moisture in. One of my previous vehicles still had good frame at 12 years in rust belt with ziebart coating.

if you are in the rust belt,
The better option nowadays is to fluid film or blaster surface shield. No experience with surface shield but fluid film is working great.
Left underbody panels/covers on but coated everything else that was exposed(except brakes, exhaust, etc.) Get in the holes,/crevices and rockers.
Do plan to take off the panels at the 7 year mark and if anything is corroding, will fluid film it at that time. Good luck. Fluid film is cheap and easy DIY. If you dont want to DIY, see if a garages will fluid film or surface shield it for $100 to $200. And fluid film in fall before winter... And no auto high pressure underbody car wash sprays during winter. Lastly supposedly it is user friendly and safe but wear ppe mask/respirator and goggles anyway. No sense breathing it in.
​​​

Last edited by kilroy22; 07-02-2023 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:07 AM

Fluid Film products are petroleum based and while not classified as hazardous they should not be placed into the environment.
Obviously, that doesn't include the people who already dump their used oil outback of their house.
If you choose to go that route you should have it done professionally in a shop that captures any drippings and/or runoffs.
I realize many people can't be bothered, but proper PPE should be used when spraying anything.
That includes proper respirator or mask, safety googles, gloves and clothing.

Old 07-03-2023, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Fluid Film products are petroleum based and while not classified as hazardous they should not be placed into the environment.
Obviously, that doesn't include the people who already dump their used oil outback of their house.
If you choose to go that route you should have it done professionally in a shop that captures any drippings and/or runoffs.
I realize many people can't be bothered, but proper PPE should be used when spraying anything.
That includes proper respirator or mask, safety googles, gloves and clothing.
I agree.

I might add that some members with newer MAZDA (2014 to present) should really look under their MAZDA to see that there just is not much that gets exposed to debris and even road treatment in snow area's.
As a personal experience to this, I have posted pictures.. during the winter months we often travel up the Sierrea Mountains on Hwy 80,50,49 and 220. These roads are often treated with salt and other road now clearing materials. The most all of these where collected around the front suspension that was not covered with factory wheel wells or the chassis plastic under covers. You should not treat the suspension area near the brakes or other steering. So really going to a self-serve car wash or if you live in a home the simply hose and rinsing with water after a trip or once in a while if it is a daily driver will clean off most all harmful corrosive substances. It is almost a common-sense preventive maintenance chore that owners of vehicles should be doing in area's that have treated roads.

Example of road treated material under chassis area front and rear section predominately and over the body panels. Most of the complete under chassis was protected by the factory plastic covers. Mazda:Post #174
Mazda3 Things I like to do - Page 18 - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums