Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 Mazda Connect (B) user guide (new owner questions)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 09:50 PM
Default 2021 Mazda Connect (B) user guide (new owner questions)

There is not much in the user manual to help a new owner figure out the Infotainment system. So far, the "Commander Switch" has not made a favorable impression on me.

Couple of obvious questions:
1) is the big screen touch sensitive? If so, what can you control using touch?
2) Is there any difference between the two USB ports in the arm-rest compartment?
3) Can Mazda Connect use the Contacts database in my Android phone? (My 2013 VW Passat had a very limited infotainment system, but at least it could pull addresses and phone numbers out of the Google Contacts file of my smartphone).
4) Is there any documentation on using it with Android Auto?
5) if I am using Android Auto and either Google Maps or Waze, will the turn/distance information show up in the heads-up display?
6) is there an Qi charger somewhere (Signature) ? The marketing info talks about it, but I can't find any reference to where it is.
7) is there an outside temperature sensor that I can display on some screen? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks
Pat
Brand new 2021 Signature model.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:01 PM

I am no expert, but I also own a 2021 Signature, so I'll do what I can.

1) It is not, in any way, a touch screen.
2) They are different, but I don't know in exactly what ways. Only one of them (the manual says that it has an image of a cell phone next to it, but it does not on my USDM car) works with Apple Car Play or Android Auto. I suspect hat the other one is wither for data input (music) to the head unit, or simply for charging.
3) I believe that you must use Android Auto (if you still have an Android phone) to use your phones contacts with Mazda Connect.
4) I used a couple of short YouTube videos that were very handy. Can't remember what is in the Mazda Owner's Manual.
5) Andoid Auto/Google Maps/Waze will not show up in the HUD. You must use Mazda's navigation program for that to happen, and it does so very well. Well enough that I favour it over using my phone's Google Maps, even though the data is newer and the reaction time is faster on the phone.
6) No Qi charger.
7) Yes, you can read outside temperature somewhere in the instrument cluster. I am not sitting in the car now, but if you do not see it, keep changing the viewing 'mode' until you do.

It's a great car. Enjoy it............................. Frank

Old 04-11-2021, 02:12 PM

Thanks that is very helpful.
Too bad that Waze/GoogleMaps can't show in the heads-up display. I've only had the car a couple of days, and I really like the heads-up

Old 04-12-2021, 01:55 PM

I do not disagree with any of Frank's answers. I think he is pretty spot on based on my experiences in my wife's Signature. One thing we did do is to adjust the HUD so that it appears lower in the windscreen, and my wife finds it much less distracting.

In addition to the printed owner's manual, and the digital owner manual, there are several others, assuming a USA spec car, that concentrate on Carplay, AA and Connected Services, as well as the Nav System

https://www.mazdausa.com/owners/how-...=2021&mc=21CX5

Old 04-12-2021, 02:01 PM

thanks, yes mine is a US spec car.