Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 key fob and remote start questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 05:17 PM
Default 2021 key fob and remote start questions

We picked up our new CX-5 just before Christmas and so far we like it except for a couple of things. First is the key fob which I've read many posts hating on the poor designed fob buttons. Is there some sort of aftermarket fob or OEM fob from an earlier model that has better designed buttons?

Second question is the remote start which we have. Are there any electronic guru's that have figured how to disable the engine off when door is opened feature? I hate this almost as much as the fob. I may even look into an aftermarket system to get not only a new fob but one that does not shut the engine down when the door is open.

Last edited by Dave33; 01-17-2022 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 07:38 PM

I have not heard of a replacement key fob of another design. Have you seen this for any brand? I now prefer the design it is less noticeable in the pocket than the old Mazda key fob. I seldom have it use the fob itself.

As for the shut off, I suspect this is a legal requirement of many areas. If the engine remained on when the car is opened, a car thief could mere easily steal a running vehicle. In addition to shutting off the vehicle when unlocking, it shuts off when you put it in gear.

I suspect you will get used to both of these "features" fairly soon.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:02 PM

I haven't seen a fob that will work. We use it to lock and unlock the car and twice now while in my pocket I have mistakenly opened the rear hatch. Once inside and once outside. Fortunately no damage to the hatch but it did bang the garage wall. I'm sure there will be a fix of some sort for this as time goes on.

I don't believe it's a legal issue with the engine shutting off when the door is open because you can buy aftermarket systems that won't kill the engine when you open the door.

Last edited by Dave33; 01-17-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:06 AM

most other remote starts, the car does not shut off when you open the door, you must have the remote or a key with you and hit the start button. If you just get in and touch anything without it, the car shuts off. also on my last ford escape, you could preset, the steering wheel warmer, heated seats as well as auto temp. Mazda missed it on the remote and the auto start.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:39 PM

I agree with you on the remote start thoughts. My issues with the remote start are that you can only remote start it once (if you live in the northern climes no way the car gets warm in 10 minutes), the car shuts off when you open the door and you can remote start the car even if it is unlocked. Maybe the last 2 are related? First world problems I know but I guess I am spoiled with the remote start on my Genesis. Other then that, we are really happy with our 21 GT so far.