Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 CX-5 Turbo Performance Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 11:43 AM

I would suggest that if anyone is truly interest in what the actual DYNO test results are, either have your Mazda Dyon'd or rent a Mazda for a day and go get it Dyon'd. It is about 150 bucks at most shop nationwide.
You can often get them for free at car shows and events using their portable Chassis Dyno. Not as complete but good enough for bragging rights or to find out your engine is not what your read about power output claims from the internet. LOL

Dyno testing is always a recommendation I give to anyone that is planning to mod up their engines output to get a baseline before you install the go fast more power parts and after. This way you can see real world results for your engine are.

For a very close approximation to within 2% there are some Diagnostic Monitors (relatively affordable) that can measure HP and Toque in real world operating values that can also give a good value for seeing a base line and modified enfine power results.

Last edited by Callisto; 02-09-2023 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:09 PM

Still cracks me up Cali. We are not talking about proprietary information. I am talking about a DYNO of a production car. This isn't secret information. It would certainly help bolster your claim about Mazda's lack of truthful hp numbers. You continue to try and belittle me and I keep coming back asking reasonable questions as to why you do. You would think I was posting the CX-5 will run on vegetable oil, or something just as ridiculous....

Old 02-14-2023, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Still cracks me up Cali. We are not talking about proprietary information. I am talking about a DYNO of a production car. This isn't secret information. It would certainly help bolster your claim about Mazda's lack of truthful hp numbers. You continue to try and belittle me and I keep coming back asking reasonable questions as to why you do. You would think I was posting the CX-5 will run on vegetable oil, or something just as ridiculous....
Um welll find a DYN test that is more complete and not reduced to a simple easy to read for people like yourself with all the information on it instead of the edited version> If you don't know what that mean go read:
Is Your Dyno Lying? - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Here I will post it twice in case you missed it.

Is Your Dyno Lying? - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

The other information that you seem to not understand is the INDUSTRY STANDARD for posting TRUE PWOER number???

here is that information again.

Engine Power Test Code - Engine Power and Torque Certification

• Ground Vehicle Standard
  • J2723_202110
  • Revised

Published October 15, 2021 by SAE International in United States

Downloadable datasets available
Annotation ability available
Sector:
Issuing Committee:
Language:English

Scope

This document specifies the procedure to be used for a manufacturer to certify the net power and torque rating of a production engine according to SAE J1349 (Rev. 8/04) or the gross engine power of a production engine according to SAE J1995.
Manufacturers who advertise their engine power and torque ratings as certified to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 shall follow this procedure. Certification of engine power and torque to SAE J1349 or SAE J1995 is voluntary; however, this power certification process is mandatory for those advertising power ratings as “Certified to SAE J1349” or “Certified to SAE J1995.”
In the event that an engine made by one manufacturer is sold to a consumer in a vehicle produced by a second manufacturer, engine certification may be completed by either manufacturer or by both manufacturers working together. An example of the latter would be the completion of witness testing by the engine manufacturer with the submission of certification documents by the vehicle manufacturer.

Rationale

SAE J2723 provides a means for certifying naturally aspirated and boosted engines in multiple applications using “isopower charts” and CAE engine models to show the effect of intake restriction, exhaust restriction, and charge air cooler effectivness. The standard now provides for “remote” witnessing of this testing.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Dyno testing of any production car is only applicable to the actual car that is being tested with the dyno equipment and technicians being used.
Any results garnered from that testing can only be "accurately" applied to that specific unit being tested not the entire make-model-trim line.
Implying that it does is a fabrication of the facts.

Last edited by Lobstah; 02-14-2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Dyno testing of any production car is only applicable to the actual car that is being tested with the dyno equipment and technicians being used.
Any results garnered from that testing can only be "accurately" applied to that specific unit being tested not the entire make-model-trim line.
I am just going to say what you just did.

Old 02-15-2023, 05:08 PM

All of this mumbo jumbo is well beyond what is being asked. You are seriously going to tell me there is such a huge variation from car to car (on a "new" model with under 10k so we aren't talking about a car which is old and in need of service) that a DYNO would be inaccurate unless you checked every car? Do car manufacturers DYNO each engine before it goes into the car to make sure it meets the specs they list? Maybe so. If they do it would bolster my question even more as the engines should be fairly consistent (to within at least 5 or 10hp) if they are manufactured to a tolerance. Otherwise how would any manufacturer be able to publish numbers for their cars? They had to do some kind of DYNO test to get the figures in the first place. All I am asking is if someone has another graph showing something other than what I posted for the Mazda 2.5T motor. I guess the answer is "NO". I don't need to write a thesis on how a DYNO works to understand what the numbers mean.

Old 02-15-2023, 05:21 PM

Reading comprehension is not your strong point
You are taking into text what is not being said (but that is a pattern with you like child that wants attention) about auto manufacture and what they can post that is empirical and "wishfull" LOL

Again read this!!!!!
If you don't get it by now then you are just , well I posted a picture that coined my thoughts I dont need to post it again. LOL

About SAE J1349® Certified Power - Standards Development - Standards - SAE International

and those number you are reading are not giving the story how they got there.... so ya you need to learn how to read a true and complete unaltered DYNO result. NONE have been post that I have seen yet!

This thread at this point needs to be closed or very edited because now things are getting repeated from the same people saying the same things and some are not even reading the things being posted. .

Last edited by Callisto; 02-15-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2023, 07:39 PM

Manufacturers don't have the time, money or the facilities to DYNO every engine or vehicle.
A few MIGHT test one engine out of 25 (or so). As long as the results are within established parameters, the design is good to go. Once a
design is 'proven' there's little reason to think things change day to day. Some with the vehicle itself.
Each is 'run up' before release to check all systems, but that's about it.

My 2¢

Old 02-16-2023, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
Manufacturers don't have the time, money or the facilities to DYNO every engine or vehicle.
A few MIGHT test one engine out of 25 (or so). As long as the results are within established parameters, the design is good to go. Once a
design is 'proven' there's little reason to think things change day to day. Some with the vehicle itself.
Each is 'run up' before release to check all systems, but that's about it.

My 2¢
Exactly, they do not dyno test every vehicle.
After dyno testing a motor, a manufacturer can only "imply" that each subsequent engine made to those specifications, meets those established parameters, this is called dyno proven.
Is it "likely" they will be within parameters?
Probably, but not definitively, especially if any single part has been outsourced from a different vender since the first dyno tested motor.
Which, anyone who has ever worked in any type of manufacturing, can tell you happens all the time.
They cannot verify those parameters are actually being met without testing each engine and this is called dyno tested.
The two terms are not interchangeable and that does not appear to be readily known by the public and some forum members.

Old 02-16-2023, 01:47 PM

And see, there is some good info! This is the kind of thing we need to see more of on this forum instead of the banter which goes on in this forum with some putting other members down for no good reason. I have not had this experience on the other forums I frequent - Miata.net, Club Frontier and various BMW forums for example.

For me though- dyno tested and dyno proven are both fine. We are not talking about a highly tuned race car here. I am just curious if someone has come across the dyno data for a Mazda 2.5T motor to see if it jives with what Mazda says it produces. I am not interested in having my own car tested. I am quite satisfied it produces a lot more power than my '19 CX-5 2.5 NA did.

Quick Reply: 2021 CX-5 Turbo Performance Tuning