Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2021 CX-5 Turbo Performance Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Lightbulb 2021 CX-5 Turbo Performance Tuning

Hello,

I want to ask if its possible to upgrade 2021 CX-5 turbo to 600-700HP or more, and if its not gonna kill the engine, and what kind of expenses should I expect, or if its just a stupid idea and to get that power I just should shop for some other car instead?
Thanks!

Old 02-07-2023, 05:04 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Anything is possible. But you will need to rebuild the engine. Get a ECU access program to do a complete custom Calibration that WILL require hours of data logging and adjusting. A performance head with all the components upgraded and the head ported. And if it is an automatic, I doubt without completely rebuilding the transmission and doing some serious mods to the case as well replacing several parts on the inside without you may get one pass for bragging rights on a DYNO run.
Then there is the exhaust system and let's not forget you will need BBW likely made specifically for you goal

So about $13 grand should cover most of it give or take 2-3000 extra. And more if you have no connection in the aftermarket performance parts world and a good friend in a Performance Engine Machine shop.

Or you could cheap out do simple mods and get a solid 350 HP or a very sketchy 400hp and add a 100shop shot of nitrous call it a day! . That will only coast approx.. 3-5 grand and the automatic transmission will still not stay together for very long if at all. Remember Mazda power claims IMHO are BS and they also do not participate in engine certification which mean they can advertise any power output they feel is believable.

Old 02-07-2023, 06:57 PM

Out of curiosity Cali, what do you think the 2.5T motor actually produces at the crank, on 93 octane gas? I ask as I was looking at the dyno graph at Burger tuning: https://burgertuning.com/products/jb4-tuner-for-mazda which shows baseline power for a Mazda 3 with the 2.5T at 210hp at the wheels which for an AWD car equates to 252hp at the crank (210hp x 1.2 = 252hp). Based on those numbers, Mazda seems to be right on the money with their claims. Not trying to pick a fight, just an honest question.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:58 AM
Cool

I want to ask if its possible to upgrade 2021 CX-5 turbo to 600-700HP or more, and if its not gonna kill the engine, and what kind of expenses should I expect, or if its just a stupid idea and to get that power I just should shop for some other car instead?
Sure it is! First, swap in an LS8 with a real transmission and configure as RWD. Then swap in some Z08 brakes….on second thought, set the drag on your trolling motor as high as it will go and set the hook. LOL.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Welcome to the forum.

Remember Mazda power claims IMHO are BS and they also do not participate in engine certification which mean they can advertise any power output they feel is believable.

This was in this case I made a "BALLNKET" statement because of the thread topic in general. The fact remains Mazda does not use the certified requirement and that is why there posted power rating can change at any time. Unless Mazda states SAE/Certified.

Crankshaft powers are generally always misinterpreted and often not represented incorrectly because most are VERY old school in thought on what the Crank HP/TQ are which very few auto manufacture use for publishes power because engines for the last 3 or more decades are rated with accessories bolted on and running. There actually really was no absolute % formula and only estimate at best so inaccurate but it gives comfort to most thinking it often called loss due to parasitic drag of parts and only whimsical posting of estimated power rating that were often exaggerated.

Many companies that show DYNO results before and after their product will often times have a disclaimer that your results may be different or vary from theirs!!! LOL

Seeing Dyno graphs after SAE smoothing and very seldom almost never get to see the established DELTA which is the condition of the complete Dyno preparation and setup when a retail company that offers product is set up.
Is Your Dyno Lying? - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

About SAE J1349® Certified Power - Standards Development - Standards - SAE International

I have owned and operated and run likely over 1000 various Dyno runs on numerous vehicles and engines: Chassis Dyno, Portable Chassis Dyno Engine Dyno. I have used on several automatic Transmission a rare Transmission Dyno @ Seirra Colledge CA Auto shop with one of the very few of this type of DYNO in the country.

Last edited by Callisto; 02-08-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 10:33 AM

When I started to do my ECU performance Calibration the first thing, I noticed in their Mazda ECU calibration setting is how quickly they change operating perimeters to basically lower engine output. My guess was to protect the engine??? So I limited those cells to almost zero effect. This itself made for more consistent DYNO tests. After that with careful watch of AFRs I made my other calibrations. I have logged and run no less then 60 hours of data logging to come up with a few filed programs to achieve my power rating. NO CANED TOOON offered by anyone can do that. Thats why they are "CANNED TOONED". They are minor adjust to sell you on the product and hopefully you will go to the next step with custom calibrations. $$$$
After careful consideration and contacting and talking to all that offered a OBDII program specifically to enter the Mazda ECU for EFI/ECU Performance Calibrating I choose Versa Tune.

VersaTuner

Old 02-08-2023, 02:02 PM

So.... With all that you posted, do you have any data on what a stock Mazda 2.5T engine on 91 or higher octane gas produces at the crank, or wheels? Do you disagree with the dyno results I posted above from Burger tuning?

Old 02-08-2023, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
So.... With all that you posted, do you have any data on what a stock Mazda 2.5T engine on 91 or higher octane gas produces at the crank, or wheels? Do you disagree with the dyno results I posted above from Burger tuning?
LOL YES but its not for publication (at this time) and especially for your amusement. And more that you would not understand it anyway. LOL
I think I already made a comment in great detail about Dyno posted information on the internet and especially when they come from a vendor trying to sell a product of thiers. . ROLMAO.

Now that that's settled I think we can move on. REALLY!!

Old 02-09-2023, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
LOL YES but its not for publication (at this time) and especially for your amusement. And more that you would not understand it anyway. LOL
I think I already made a comment in great detail about Dyno posted information on the internet and especially when they come from a vendor trying to sell a product of thiers. . ROLMAO.

Now that that's settled I think we can move on. REALLY!!
So you have dyno results on the 2.5T motor but you won't post them? For what possible reason would you not want to post them? What is it with you and secrets? You seriously think I "would not understand it anyway"? You have some issues dude.... Who wouldn't understand a dyno result?

Well since you have no rebuttal to what I posted above from Burger, we have PROOF Mazda's 2.5T motor does produce what they list (250hp at the crank)...

Old 02-09-2023, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
So you have dyno results on the 2.5T motor but you won't post them? For what possible reason would you not want to post them? What is it with you and secrets? You seriously think I "would not understand it anyway"? You have some issues dude.... Who wouldn't understand a dyno result?

Well since you have no rebuttal to what I posted above from Burger, we have PROOF Mazda's 2.5T motor does produce what they list (250hp at the crank)...
I engineer and develop performance parts for several companies including my own. During that stage of testing "ALL" information is confidential and in some cases my testing under contracts is propitory. . Its as simple as that. If you cant understand this TO fricken BAD!

Sorry to inform you and specifically you personally that very few would understand and know how to read a compete Dyno report with all the actual unaltered (SAE smoothing or equivalent) DELTA perimeters and the DATA logging during the run. Those DYNO results you see hundreds of all over the internet are simplified to the very basic level of understanding which does nothing for those that are looking for the how and whys they got them! I posted 2 information http that you should have read to enlighten your brain abut basic Dyn testing?

Now at this point I am done with your usual baiting and Bull sheet you do when I post. You are so unqualified to be asking as well very liltte indicated on any forum even a level to be called a DIY. LOL

chickdr19 reading comprehension is something that my not be possible with you to achieve? Apparently, you have not read the information I posted on this thread complete if at all and only selected what you wanted to try to understand and post about?

Added information. In some 20 plus years of posting on various forums I have NEVER posted a DYNO TEST RESULT on any forum car or otherwise .....EVER!!!!

Last edited by Callisto; 02-09-2023 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 2021 CX-5 Turbo Performance Tuning