Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 CX-5 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 09:59 AM

I have 151,000 miles on my rear brakes, yes 99% highway driving. 2018 CX 5

I changed the front pads at 100K miles and the front pads were at 40%. I was doing a lot of maintenance on the car and I figured they were fairly low, I was wrong.

$45 all in on brakes, in 4.5 years, pretty good

Old 06-19-2023, 10:52 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 06-19-2023, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Really? No such thing as a bad batch? You crack me up. How about the cylinder head issues on the 2.5NA? Those were a bad batch....
First nothing has been established exactly as to the cause of the defects regarding those events only the outcome. Or do you know something that MAZDA has not posted and made public yet.
The problem with assuming that things are in batches is badly incorrect and also inaccurate. Parts are called for manufacturing in large quantities with no real cause for date installation of newer to older parts unless a part is like a engine block or head which have serial numbers. This goes in line exactly with the valve stem seal issue. Mazda simply update the seal(according to their information) sent notification to all the dealership to depose and or return all stock part member and replace with the updated versions. Nowhere was it published that I am aware of from Mazda the exact cause of the small number of failed valve stem seals that were on randomly completed engines. So no "bad batch" there either. LOL

I suggest stick to what you in your profession know and not do so much BS speculation about the what you think you know.

No dude if you have any documentation that I may have missed directly from MAZDA then why not st...................fu! LOL

Old 06-20-2023, 07:24 AM
Default Rear brakes

Originally Posted by DemiC
I have 151,000 miles on my rear brakes, yes 99% highway driving. 2018 CX 5

I changed the front pads at 100K miles and the front pads were at 40%. I was doing a lot of maintenance on the car and I figured they were fairly low, I was wrong.

$45 all in on brakes, in 4.5 years, pretty good
=======
The rear brakes hardly get used and its the same on most or all my other brand of cars, as one shoe is for parking brake mostly.

Old 06-20-2023, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mazdagus
=======
The rear brakes hardly get used and its the same on most or all my other brand of cars, as one shoe is for parking brake mostly.
GENERAL RESPONSE TO THIS STATEMENT ^^^^ (basically not accurate anymore) ^^^^
On MAZDA from aprox 2014 and newer the rear braking system get used as much and in some cases more then the front because of the ECU command control for vehicle braking , stability control and safety.
READ THE FEATURES for your specific MAZDA or go to MAZDA USA to learn more about your vehicle.

Old 06-20-2023, 02:52 PM

It is common for the rear brakes to require replacement before the fronts on the Audi Q5. I am sure it is true for many other makes and models.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by blchandl2
It is common for the rear brakes to require replacement before the fronts on the Audi Q5. I am sure it is true for many other makes and models.
This is a MAZDA forum ( still wondering why people compare other makes to MAZDA when it comes to how each vehicle was engineered and designed in threads like this? ) and no its not necessarily true on most model Mazda 2014 -2019 but it is indicating more frequent on Mazda from 2020 to present.

If the platform has advance braking ECU capabilities then it may wear the rear pads before the front and this is more depending on the how the drives operate his vehicle. If your vehicle does not have any of these type features and the rear wears before the front then the brake bias has been negativity effected that is not within the engineered design of the braking system and should be looked at to find the cause.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
This is a MAZDA forum ( still wondering why people compare other makes to MAZDA when it comes to how each vehicle was engineered and designed in threads like this? ) and no its not necessarily true on most model Mazda 2014 -2019 but it is indicating more frequent on Mazda from 2020 to present.

If the platform has advance braking ECU capabilities then it may wear the rear pads before the front and this is more depending on the how the drives operate his vehicle. If your vehicle does not have any of these type features and the rear wears before the front then the brake bias has been negativity effected that is not within the engineered design of the braking system and should be looked at to find the cause.
Lighten up Francis.

I know this is a Mazda forum and I do not see anything in the rules that forbids the mention of other makes/models. I was just pointing out that many cars have systems which can cause the rear brakes to wear quicker than the front.