Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes Need Replaced at 11k Miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 07:46 PM
Default Brakes Need Replaced at 11k Miles

Hi Everyone!

I have a 2019 CX-5 that I leased July 2019. It’s my first Mazda and I was really excited to see if all the amazing reviews I had read were true.

I didn’t have any issues with it until 2/2020. It was then I noticed the brakes making a strange noise and the passenger side window was going down by itself. I made an appointment at the dealership which is over an hour from where I live and they took it in.

They fixed the window and told me they didn’t hear anything wrong with the brakes. I pointed out some rust I had seen and they assured me that it was normal and the brakes were fine.

Then the pandemic hit! Instead of driving 5 days to work, I was driving 2.

The brakes never felt right to me but the dealership said Mazda brakes were a lot different than my prior vehicle which was a Chevy.

I haven’t felt comfortable with the brakes and had a garage in my hometown put winter tires on it and I told them about the brakes. Sure enough, I need front and back.

I took it to the Mazda dealership and they made a video of the rust and told me that I don’t drive it enough and gave me a large estimate to fix it!!

The vehicle has just over 11,000 miles on it! It’s driven every week! I live in Pa. But we haven’t had much snow this year.

I don’t feel that it’s right that they are wanting to charge me $900 especially when I alerted them to a brake issue before!

Has anyone had this happen?

Thank you!

Old 12-31-2021, 07:50 AM

I really can't imagine with only 11k miles on the car that you'd need new brakes! Especially to the tune of $900!!!

What EXACTLY is the dealer saying is wrong with the brakes and why isn't it being covered under warranty?

If it's just the pads needing replacement it sure as hell shouldn't cost $900! If it's more than just the pads it should be a warranty issue.

I have just over 30k miles on my 2016.5 and when I rotated the wheels a couple of months ago, I inspected the brakes, and they were fine and still had plenty of meat left on the pads.

As far as the rust goes, all rotors will get some rust on them, this is normal. Got a pic?

Old 12-31-2021, 08:18 AM

This certainly sounds like it needs escalation with Mazda USA. 11k is way too short for a wear and tear claim by the dealer. It sounds like something is up. I would suggest you do some highway runs with stops from speed to see if its just surface rust or pad material which needs to be worn off. I would ask for the brake analysis results and post them here. They can't possibly show the rotors are too thin at 11K unless you have a caliper issue.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:24 AM

Thank you for your responses! They didn’t say anything about the caliper. They said I need new brakes and rotors-all 4. There’s no contact to the roter.

At 11,000 miles, they should have covered this!
Instead, they said it happened because I don’t drive it enough. I asked if all Mazdas have to be driven 5 days a week instead of 2???

I was so mad, I drove it home! I wasn’t paying almost $900 for this.

I reached out to Mazda USA and also a PA lemon attorney. They ignored the issue in 2020 and told
me there was nothing wrong and now won’t correct their mistake.

I’m trying to attach a photo. I can’t attach the video.

Thank you!

Old 12-31-2021, 09:45 AM

Best I can tell from the picture? That is a lot of rust which may have been caused form corrosive liquids or extended soaking in water. Not sure what is being used on the roads in your area but that is not normal wear.
You may want to look at a friend or neighbor vehicle and see what there looks like. I would also like to read the actual inspection reports from both shops, your independent service shop and the actual MAZDA service report?
I live close to the Seirra Mountains and may customers will travel over to Lak Tahoe and Renno and often get them into the shop with chassis and brakes looking much like yours. Most of the time it will be for sticking calipers or excessive noises from the brakes.

Last edited by Callisto; 12-31-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
This certainly sounds like it needs escalation with Mazda USA. 11k is way too short for a wear and tear claim by the dealer. It sounds like something is up. I would suggest you do some highway runs with stops from speed to see if its just surface rust or pad material which needs to be worn off. I would ask for the brake analysis results and post them here. They can't possibly show the rotors are too thin at 11K unless you have a caliper issue.
That is poor advise when it concerns BRAKES! The OP, should first find out what the problem is before relying on their performance and doing a procedure like you posted?

Last edited by Callisto; 12-31-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:08 AM

I live in Northwestern Pa. It doesn’t sit on the street or anything.

As far as comparison, our other vehicle, neighbors…none have had this problem. I’ve never actually had to replace brakes before except on a vehicle I had for five years and the fifth year, it was time.

I’ve had vehicles since the late 80’s.

I am very disappointed to say the least.

Thank you,

Ellie

Old 12-31-2021, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Elle
I live in Northwestern Pa. It doesn’t sit on the street or anything.

As far as comparison, our other vehicle, neighbors…none have had this problem. I’ve never actually had to replace brakes before except on a vehicle I had for five years and the fifth year, it was time.

I’ve had vehicles since the late 80’s.

I am very disappointed to say the least.

Thank you,

Ellie
I read the weather past and 10 days forecast in your area before I responded.

As I suggested post the service shop write ups and inspection for a better idea what they were seeing from thetechnician's assessment.

ASE

Last edited by Callisto; 12-31-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Elle
Hi Everyone!

I have a 2019 CX-5 that I leased July 2019. It’s my first Mazda and I was really excited to see if all the amazing reviews I had read were true.

I didn’t have any issues with it until 2/2020. It was then I noticed the brakes making a strange noise and the passenger side window was going down by itself. I made an appointment at the dealership which is over an hour from where I live and they took it in.
I've never leased a car but my understanding and, or, assumption is that consumers who lease usually do so for a 3 year period and once that is up they return the car to the dealership. If this is correct then is it an option for you to do the same ?

Old 12-31-2021, 11:55 AM

I haven’t had done any work done yet. I am posting what the Mazda dealer sent me for the estimate. I don’t have a paper copy. It was all electronic.

I wish I could share the video but the format is compatible.

I also posted a pic of what the independent garage said was wrong.

The vehicle doesn’t sit in water or heavy snow. It’s in the driveway with the others and just this vehicle is an issue.

I am shocked to have had this happen! I’m more shocked at the stupidity of their answer to “drive it
more”. The Service Manager DID acknowledge that had it been looked at when I first said the brakes sounded funny, I wouldn’t be in this situation but they still were going to charge me.

Hope these pics help!

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Brakes Need Replaced at 11k Miles