Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 02:49 PM

Well you negativity towards MAZDA still does not indicate really what happened? And as for the continued smell if that much oil was in the engine bay and the underside of of any vehicle it is going to take a few high pressure cleaning to rid all the oil. Synthetic oil is very hard to clean off any surface. To bad you have not found what the actual cause was!

Somehow the information passed so far does not point to a defective MAZDA engine? I say it again, I would still like to see all the service write ups!
But I guess as you said MAZDA has lost you as a consumer of their product this thread really without the information I requested is a sad story at best...

good luck on your next vehicle you choose!

Old 11-01-2020, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Well you negativity towards MAZDA still does not indicate really what happened? And as for the continued smell if that much oil was in the engine bay and the underside of of any vehicle it is going to take a few high pressure cleaning to rid all the oil. Synthetic oil is very hard to clean off any surface. To bad you have not found what the actual cause was!

Somehow the information passed so far does not point to a defective MAZDA engine? I say it again, I would still like to see all the service write ups!
But I guess as you said MAZDA has lost you as a consumer of their product this thread really without the information I requested is a sad story at best...

good luck on your next vehicle you choose!
Gotta say Callisto, you really know how to hit a guy when he is down. How did his story not point to a defect on Mazda's side? They fixed it under warranty right? That would by definition be MAZDA's fault. If it was his fault, they wouldn't have covered it.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Gotta say Callisto, you really know how to hit a guy when he is down. How did his story not point to a defect on Mazda's side? They fixed it under warranty right? That would by definition be MAZDA's fault. If it was his fault, they wouldn't have covered it.
Thats not at all what I said or did. In fact I have continually ask to see the service write up(s). Also where was it that actaully stated the cause of all the oil. And really it was sorta unclear where it was coming from.
What I get tired of is when you post things that are not really knowledgeable? What I said a few times is that there was no information to repeat again which was the cause. How did you suddenly rule it was a defective engine? LOL
GO RE_READ my responses again>

Today word to learn: comprehend

1: to understand the nature or meaning of; grasp with the mind; perceive:

Old 11-04-2020, 11:27 AM

I comprehend just fine.... I am quite sure my reading comprehension is at or well above yours considering the responses I continually read coming from your keyboard. Please tell me where I said in any of my posts this was a defective engine(which is a pretty generalized conclusion)? I said it was a DEFECT of some kind. Thus the reason Mazda chose to replace whatever they did. Would it be helpful if the OP added a photo of the service invoice? Sure it would. Is it required to make this thread valid. Nope....

Old 11-14-2020, 09:20 AM

fyi
Old 11-01-2020, 12:43 PM
Antonella Tizz
Default Just fixed mine.
After trying to call and follow up for 3 weeks they told me I blew a head gasket and the cylinders are all messed up. I would need a whole engine rebuild... covered under warranty. It took about a month to fix.

Also my money is on this response from smaiam

Old 10-28-2020, 09:44 AM
samiam_68
DefaultSounds like whoever did your oil change did not tighten the drain plug or filter and oil leaked out and engine blew up.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mazda_626x2_3x1_cx5x2
fyi
Old 11-01-2020, 12:43 PM
Antonella Tizz

Sounds like whoever did your oil change did not tighten the drain plug or filter and oil leaked out and engine blew up.
Yes I like this response and information but here is the thing ....... say the drain plug (or oil filter) was not tightened it was not stated that the drain plug was missing? Also had the drain plug completely fell out and the oil drained a few things would have happened..... the oil light would have come on there would have been DTC(s) so check engine light, before a head gasket blows the engine either coolant or extreme lean (AFR=air fuel ration) in which again multiple warnings indicated before the worst happened? I might also add that unless it was none detergent and none synthetic motor oil used an engine can run several minutes or more without any oil in the sump. In this case the head gasket would have been one of the last things to have blown the first would have been "BLACK DEATH" on the rod and main bearing cause by the oil flashing and leaving the bearing complete void of any oil protection. In that case the engine would more then likely have seized before a head gasket blew.

There is really more to this story of what really happened and my guess is the complete engine will ( or already has) be replaced and no one will ever really know the cause or what really happed inside the engine? Seldom when an engine is replaced under warranty from the auto manufacture does it get dismantled to find the root cause of the damage. What generally happens is the engine get a sledge hammer to the side of the engine block and head so it can be tossed without any parts being scavenged!

Old 02-01-2021, 05:08 AM

Hello,
I have a 2018 GT 2.5 with 13,850 miles on it and the exact same thing happened to mine, the dealership told me that one of the cylinders was leaking and that the engine would have to be replaced, they ordered one from Japan and told me that it would take a month for it to deliver to the dealership, this happened on 1/26/21 so I am driving a loaner at the moment.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:21 PM
Default Same Systemic Problem

Mine blew at 30k miles and 3yrs of careful ownership. Pretty abnormal and unacceptable for a car this new.

This vehicle has been disassembled in the dealership for 15 days. No ETA on repair. They can't locate a spare part - their lack of stock is very disconcerting. It is an indicator that either 1) this problem is systematic and the demand has exhausted their cylinder head part supply, or 2) their supply chain is weak and they're not maintaining proper reserves. Probably a little of both. Had to call and escalate to Mazda HQ. Still haven't heard back. Not impressed with my customer service experience - they're very backfooted. Have to call them to get any updates, no proactivity.

Worst part, I need to move out of state this month with a lease expiring. I have no idea if they're going to get their act together anytime soon.

Last edited by CX-5 :(; 04-16-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:41 PM
Default Only occurring on 2018 models and up?

I'm curious if this is related to the cylinder deactivation technology that Mazda added in 2018 CX-5?
I have a 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with 42k, bought new just over 4 years ago and I've had no issues.

Old 04-17-2021, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by edmondcx5
I'm curious if this is related to the cylinder deactivation technology that Mazda added in 2018 CX-5?
I have a 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with 42k, bought new just over 4 years ago and I've had no issues.
I'll ask if when I finally get this resolved. I don't know if I'll get a straight answer though. My service rep is basically communicating with me in broken text messages. I always need to be the one to call him

This definitely appears to be a systemic problem with this year/model though.

Quick Reply: 2018 cx-5 Blown Head Cylinder and Head Gasket