Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 vs 17/18

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:46 AM
Default 2016 vs 17/18

I've been a longtime fan of Mazda, and have owned 6 of them at this point (90 626, 97 626, 99 Protege, 01 Tribute, 03 6, 13 3) and always had great luck with them. However, 5 years ago, when my Tribute was approaching 300k miles, I decided to replace it with a Subaru Forester. I had hoped to keep the Subaru for at least 10 years, but in the face of a needed clutch replacement, A/C repair, as well as a handful of other issues I can feel are coming my way, it seems like going back to Mazda might be a better move at this point.

Right now, I'm trying to decide between looking at a 2016, 17, or going new. I think the exterior designs are both fine and I actually like the interior layout of the 16's better than the new redesign (not a fan at all of the screen on top of the dash that Mazda has been going with in their redesigns). I'm leaning towards the Touring as trim line of choice.

My questions really center around what are the other major differences between the 16 and 17/18, and if you've had both the older and newer versions what would be the biggest things you've noticed between the two that you might not discover on a test drive or spec sheet (road noise, seat comfort, etc)

I also like the $7-8k lower price on 16, especially since I just finished paying off the Subaru and was hoping to avoid payments for a while, but when I was shopping around for both the Subaru and 3 back in 13, it was essentially cheaper to buy new than used. I'm sure a big part of that is that both the cars were on the last year before a redesign, but is there anything else in that regard that perhaps I haven't come across that would make the price difference between new and used smaller than it appears?

Finally, I do plan on doing some towing, am I correct that both models have a 2,000 lbs capacity?

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2018, 12:55 PM

If you've used the Mazda web site configurater, you'll no doubt have noticed that they still list the 2017 model as current. That would indicate that there are still 17s left in the system, which might be the sweet spot (value-wise) that you're looking for.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:33 PM

Hello all,new member here.I post sometimes on the mazdas247 forum as well.
clairjuice, I have a 2014 cx-5 touring and am one of the "techno-Luddites" who appreciates the simplicity and cost effectiveness of the 2013 thru 2016 models.A few things I'm glad NOT to have are the tire pressure sensors (expensive)inside of each wheel (the earlier models use the ABS system wheel speed sensors instead) and the LED headlights which I understand cost between 1000 to 1500 each if replaced when out of warranty.In my opinion Mazda has increased the complexity and owner cost when they introduced the upgrades.For 2018 models,the scariest and most dubious "upgrade" is the automatic cylinder deactivation which disables 2 out of 4 cylinders under certain conditions to improve fuel economy.I can see this as a possible real problem down the road and hope it's more reliable than the new soul red crystal paint introduced for 2017 which has a lot of people upset.
It's my first mazda and I love it but I'm not pleased in the direction things are going with the added complexity and cost.To me simple is better.I don't know the specifics of the ones you're considering,but if it were me ,I'd rather have 2016 and money in my pocket. And please do checkout mazdas247 website for a whole lot of info to help make a good decision. Cheers, Jmaz

Old 05-31-2018, 11:23 AM

clairjuice, I have a 2014 touring cx-5 and appreciate the simplicity and economy of it.

Some negatives of 2017/2018 (to me anyway) versus the 2016 would be:
1) separate,expensive tire pressure sensors inside of each wheel
2) expensive to replace(1000-1400 each) LED headlights when out of warranty
3) problems with the new soul red crystal paint if that color chosen
4) for 2018 the cylinder deactivation feature which disables 2 out of 4 cylinders for "improved" fuel economy..what's the expected reliability on this?
to me these upgrades just add cost and complexity to the owner.I'd be inclined to the 2016 and save some cash if it were my decision.Besides, I like the earlier styling better and forward visibility seemed a little diminished on the 2017.If you haven't already,visit the mazdas247 website for a lot of info on these and other general info.It's a great site with helpful members. Good luck, Jmaz

Old 05-31-2018, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the tips.
Originally Posted by Jmaz
1) separate,expensive tire pressure sensors inside of each wheel
Is there something different about the TPMS in 16 vs 17? I hadn't heard anything about that.

4) for 2018 the cylinder deactivation feature which disables 2 out of 4 cylinders for "improved" fuel economy..what's the expected reliability on this?
to me these upgrades just add cost and complexity to the owner.I'd be inclined to the 2016 and save some cash if it were my decision.Besides, I like the earlier styling better and forward visibility seemed a little diminished on the 2017.
I think I've pretty much ruled out the 18 at this point, it's pretty much between a new or nearly new 17 or save about $5k and go with a 16 with 40-60k on the odometer.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:17 PM

I'm under the impression that up thru 2016 the ABS wheel speed sensors were used as a way to determine a low tire.The spread gets narrower now that you mention the $5k difference and the 40-60k mileage.You might consider reading about owner complaints/problems with 2016 and 2017 and renting a 2017 for a day or two to better judge driving,features and comfort to help decide.If you're not pressed for time it sounds kinda fun.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
If you've used the Mazda web site configurater, you'll no doubt have noticed that they still list the 2017 model as current. That would indicate that there are still 17s left in the system, which might be the sweet spot (value-wise) that you're looking for.
As a follow up, that's exactly what I wound up doing. Bought a brand new 17 Touring with the Preferred Package in Machine Grey. Already have 4,000 miles on it, including about 3,000 miles of towing a 1,300 lbs trailer out to Glacier NP and back, so far, I'm very happy with it.

In the end, the significant step up in standard equipment in the touring models from 16 to 17, along with some of the interior upgrades and improvements in the redesign, became the biggest reason I went with the 17. It seemed to get comparable equipment I had to be comparing 17 Tourings with 16 Grand Tourings, and at that point, the 16 no longer seemed like much of a money saver.