Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 or 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 01:09 AM
Default 2016 or 2018

i have been researching compact SUVs like crazy. So much I've gotten a headache. I'm almost 60 so I'm looking for hopefully my "last" car. The area is flooded with 2016 models because of leases ending. I can get a 2016 Touring AWD with Navigation and moonroof for around $18,000 with 40,000 miles but I can also get a 2018 Touring for around $20,000 but they have 30-40,000 miles.

Would I be better going with the 2018? I don't drive a ton, just grandkids now and then so I'm figuring the age/miles would even out. I like the small Mazda 3 but ot sure how long I could get in and out of it. LOL.

I'm single so I don't really have anyone to bounce this off of so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kathi

Old 07-07-2019, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Are the 2016 models the old shape or the new shape?

Old 07-07-2019, 01:27 PM

I’m pretty sure that it is the old style.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:36 PM

Kathi,

IMO there are two advantages the 2018 has over the 2016... (1) there still should be some of the manufacturers warranty left on the 2018; and (2) the body re-design of the 2018. I have the 2018 GT and I like the vehicle and the options that came with GT trim package (e.g., leather seats, navigation, sunroof, heat steering wheel, etc.). One thing to note is the recent recall that was announced a week or so ago regarding the rocker arm issue on the cylinder deactivation engines that are in the 2018 CX5 and Mazda 6s. I am hoping that Mazda has a fix that will work and that I won't experience issues in a few years time.

Wade

Last edited by Zig613; 07-07-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:44 PM

Kathi, I have a 2014 basic touring (2wd and no extra packages) and being over 60 and retired,bought it with the intention of it being my last car and have an idea where you're coming from.My comments might draw some flak from the mazda fanbois club but who cares.
First off: test drive them both if you haven't and see which you like better.Some like the older style 2016 and prior and others like the new style 2017 and beyond.
Issues to consider and go check out the "mazdas247" website for a whole lot more activity and information than this website.Issues of discussion and concern include:
SEAT COMFORT
CYLINDER DEACTIVATION (abbreviated as CD in discussions) starting with the 2018 non-turbo models
LED HEADLIGHT FAILURE
SOUL RED CRYSTAL METALLIC PAINT chipping easy and lousy experiences with repairing it (delays,partial repaint,color matching)
Being a practical person who has done alot of their own repairs over 11 vehicles and living on fixed income,I personally wouldn't want the complexity and expense of the features of the newer cars(and it will only get worse) so in 2014 I bought new before they got more complicated and expensive with more electronic nanny features or things to make micro improvements in fuel economy like "stop/start" at every stop or the CD as mentioned above or CVT transmissions(not in mazda yet thankfully)
and the list goes on.
Seat comfort aside,to address some of the points above,WHY BUY a 2017/2018 and newer if there is a concerning engine problem with CD,there is a recall on this now,Who pays for LED headlight failure replacement after 36 month warranty runs out (they list at about 1200$ each).What about the cost of replacing tire pressure sensors that are inside the wheel when you get new tires.The earlier models don't have these.
This is some of the added complexity and cost I was referring to that you will bear plus downtime for repair if things go south.
An unexpected few thousand dollars out of pocket could be the difference between a CX-5 and a slightly more expensive car you may have considered (say a toyota RAV4 (without CVT transmission)).It's not to say you will have expensive repairs but look at the problems (and the good points and the CX-5 has alot of them) people are having and the trend of things getting more complicated and expensive to buy and repair as the automakers respond to government fuel economy mandates by adding expensive ,complicated gadgetry or whatever.You know who is going to eat these costs.THAT'S why I bought new when I did .

I don't intend to come off as some old,curmudgeonly tightwad here and as always it's your personal decision in the end.I just looked at the way things were headed in 2014 and 2 test drives later brought my "baby" home that day and am glad I did.I know this reply is slanted toward the earlier version but after seeing the newer one,I like the styling and less heavy,agile looks of my 2014.
You wanted some help or feedback so that's mine off the top of my head while lunch settles.
If there is alot out there to choose from, do you want or need navigation (any recurring costs) or a moonroof?Like I said,I'm on a fixed income now so I consider things more carefully.That's just my situation. Bye, Jmaz

Old 07-08-2019, 02:21 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Mazdas are great vehicles and should provide years of service. Keep up with the routine maintenance and you should have few unexpected problems. While I understand the concerns Jmaz raises, especially as it relates to cylinder deactivation, I have not heard about any problems related to the technology in Mazdas. I would lean towards buying the later model if the miles are roughly the same. In addition to the benefits Zig613 mentions, I would add future parts availability. Parts that are on the 2017-2020 models will be available longer than those that were no longer used after the 2016 model.

You may want to have an independent mechanic look over any potential vehicle you consider purchasing. A well maintained vehicle will last much longer than a poorly maintained one. The quick detailing that dealerships do make vehicles look good but often hide the true condition.

Another recommendation: Consider the leatherette on the lower models. I have it in my 2015 Mazda 3 with 96,000 miles and it looks brand new. My wife has leather in her Subaru with less miles and it looks like it is near the end of its life. I could easily see my car going another 10 years (200,000 additional miles) still looking fairly new.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 07-09-2019, 07:18 PM

I got the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty (for 6 years) for our 2018 CX-5 just in case if some problems arise after the 36-month standard warranty.

Regarding the recall on cylinder deactivation, I am pretty sure it will be addressed soon.

I agree that cars get more complex, but that should not deter from buying them, otherwise there cannot be any progress at all.