Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 MAZDA CX5 -Audio and IPOD

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by BlueTanzanite
Today I took my CX-5 to Mazda Cuernavaca for other minor issues and spoke to the person in charge of software updates at the dealership. He said the way the USB memories restart from the first song every time you start the car is due to the fact that there is no memory for retaining information about what was last playing in the head unit. I don't know how accurate this is, but for such an otherwise great car, Mazda put little attention into the head unit functionality if this is true.
This makes sense and seems like an oversight on someone's part and I hope there is a true fix and sounds like its going to be hardware. I need to check up on my bluetooth module they said they are replacing and were to call me on Tuesday this week to set up the appointment because my phone has to download the entire phone book every time I start the car so no listening to pandora or bluetooth until it finishes and of course it processes my Ipod for 10 minutes as well.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 PM

I just bought a Mazda 6. Love the car but the TomTom Nav system is poor and with a USB plugged in it never begins playing where I left off. In addition, it has to download my iPhone phonebook every time I restart the iPhone n car. This system is terrible. An update from Mazda would be nice.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Default USB Error Message

I purchased a 2015 MAZDA CX5 top of the line in June 2014. It has all the same issues as I have read here regarding the bluetooth switching the shuffle off each time I start the car and also goes to a different playlist then what I was on. This is a hazard to change while driving, so often, I just turn it off and listen to the radio. I decided it might be better to put all of my playlists on a USB thumb drive but when I plugged it in to the USB port in the console, I can click on the USB icon but then a message comes up saying "USB error". I don't see this issue here. Anyone else? Any ideas? Very disappointed in the bluetooth and USB playing as well but LOVE the car.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:22 PM

Oh yes, the Tom Tom Nav system is terrible too! It takes me on the strangest routes and when travelling into Oregon, it would not bring up any restaurants, gas stations etc, nothing could be found which rendered it useless for us down there. Miss my Garmin…

Old 07-21-2014, 03:54 PM
Default Mazda Customer Chat - womp womp

I just leased a 2015 CX 5 GT and unfortunately am experiencing the slow iPod low time that many many others have pointed out. I was at work and didn't have time to call Customer Service, but I did go to the live chat and here is the disappointing transcript. Very disheartening.

Fernando : Hi, my name is Fernando. How may I help you?
Sarah : Hi there. I just leased a Mazda CX5 on Friday, and I noticed immediately that the load time for a USB/ipod connection is between 5 minutes and 20 minutes.
Sarah : There is a 20-page forum from people complaining of similar issues that can be found here: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...io-ipod-31366/
Sarah : Are there any fixes on the way?
Fernando: Congratulations on your purchase. I am sorry to hear of your concern with the operation of your audio device with the vehicle's infotainment system.
Sarah : It seems many people have been told that this is a known issue and there is a fix, but that dates back to 2013 with nothing so far.
Sarah : One person in New Zealand seems to have gotten a fixed unit (I am in America)-- what's being done about that here?
Fernando: Mazda has received feedback from customer with similar complaints of the system and is being researched. We hope to have some update regarding the matter soon, but sorry we dont have any type of time frame at the moment.
Sarah : Who could I speak to in order to escalate the issue? If someone in another country got a new unit installed, why would it not be available in the US?
Fernando: We couldn't speak for any other operations outside of the United States. In regards to this matter, Mazda is researching and hope to have an update in the future that will improve the operation with Apple devices.
Sarah : It's not just apple devices, I've also tried USB drives/flash drives etc
Fernando: It is mainly Apple devices, but also some others when using the USB port.
Sarah : which ones do work well?
Sarah : Can you provide some options for devices that would load quickly in the usb port?
Fernando: Does your device have a large file? If so, reducing the file size of the library could help.
Sarah : It's only 16G. That's pretty small considering many devices are 64G+
Fernando: It is mainly Apple devices where we have received complaints about slow load times. I dont have information about the other devices, other than to say that it is mainly Apple devices that have reported have this issue.
Sarah : And there is no timeline for a fix? Who could I escalate the issue to?
Fernando: We wouldn't have an escalation process for this matter. It is something that Mazda is aware of and working to improve. Once an update is available the dealerships will be notified. I would recommend contacting your dealership periodically for updates.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:47 AM

It sounds like the usual song and dance. Why are they stuck on Apple devices? Like you, I have tried other types of USB and flash drives and they are all the same but its more than that. When I get in my car I can't listen to bluetooth because it's loading the contacts, I can't listen to Pandora because it's loading the bluetooth, I can't even make a phone call until the phone loads, I can't listen to my IPOD because its loading the songs, I can't listen to AUX because it does not charge devices and you must use the screen to navigate so that leaves me with Sirius which I am NOT going to pay for since my IPOD is 10X better AND plays all my favorite songs and doesn't lose it signal when I go under a bridge or the radio which doesn't make the extra money I paid for the BOSE package or the $30,000 I spent on a 2015 loaded car very special. I have a CD in the CD player for the days I am super frustrated but that doesn't display the song names. The CX-5 would be perfect for my needs if they would fix the headunit.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:24 AM

I took my 6 in because the messages won't download, and never have. In talking with the workshop supervisor regards the USB & Bluetooth issues, he said the only fix Mazda are working on is to build their own system: i.e without Bose or Tomtom. So I have stopped holding my breath. My only hope is that the message loading issue requires a new head unit. Failing that at least I only have 2 years 10 months before the lease is finished and I can leave my first and last Mazda behind as a bad memory.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 AM

At least Mazda is owning up to it when you folks have talked to them.

I went to my dealer last week to replace a tire, and the service manager claimed no knowledge whatsoever - had never once had a complaint. He told me this, trying to make me feel foolish, right in front of cashier, who couldn't believe he was such an f*ing liar.

I made him document my complaints about the bluetooth, and called the "bluetooth hotline" when I got home. They also stated they know nothing about any troubles and the unit works as intended.

I sure hope something is being done, but if it is, even they do not know about it. The longer it has been, the less likely they will do anything about it.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:18 AM

So frustrating, seriously - especially bc this seems to be a known issue since at least 2012.

One thing that makes it a LITTLE better for me - for folks who do have Sirius, you can play Sirius radio while the iPod simultaneously loads (I have an old 2010 16 GB Nano and it takes about 2-5 minutes to load, like others.) At least that way, it's not dead silence while watching an aggravating loading wheel spin. A small consolation but better than nothing.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by sarah1982
So frustrating, seriously - especially bc this seems to be a known issue since at least 2012.

One thing that makes it a LITTLE better for me - for folks who do have Sirius, you can play Sirius radio while the iPod simultaneously loads (I have an old 2010 16 GB Nano and it takes about 2-5 minutes to load, like others.) At least that way, it's not dead silence while watching an aggravating loading wheel spin. A small consolation but better than nothing.
Maybe it would be if Mazda would pay for the monthly or yearly subscription. I won't pay what they want each month because my Ipod doesn't need a clear line of sight to play music and I don't want to hear the DJ tell me I'm listening to Sirus/XM...I already know that. :-)

Quick Reply: 2014 MAZDA CX5 -Audio and IPOD