Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Cx5 diesel oil dilution

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:12 PM
Default 2014 Cx5 diesel oil dilution

Guys hope someone can shed some light on a problem I have, in March this year I purchased a CX5 2014 model diesel. I love the car and everything seems fine except.
The oil warning light came on recently, I checked the oil only to find that the level was high up to the X on the dipstick.
Google told me that earlier models had an issue with diesel making its way into the motor oil during the DPF mode, but it seems as if this was fixed in later models.
The car had an oil change at the dealers before I purchased the vehicle in March it had 38000klms on it, the car know has 43000 Kim's on it.
I went to the local Mazda dealer to talk to the service department re warranty issue only to be told that the dealer I bought it off probably didn't reset the ECU when the oil change was performed. Not the service reminder but the ecu reset?
He told me to take it back to the dealer I bought it off, I rang the dealer who said that they would have reset the ecu when they serviced the vehicle.
Not happy with my local Mazda dealer I rang Mazda Australia who said it doesn't sound correct and that I need to book it in for further investigation. If it's warranty they pay if it's not I pay.
I've booked it in for next week, I'm wondering what resetting the ecu after an oil change does to stop the oil dilution or is he talking crap.
Either way it needs an oil change but I don't want to do it at 5000klm intervals.
It's out of manufacturers warrant in December this year.
Any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

The " Oil Data" stored/calculated in the PCM needs to be reset/cleared every time the oil is changed. This is done using Mazda's MMDS ( diagnostic computer )

As you drive, the ECU monitors many things and calculates the oil quality based on your driving style, it can reach its calculated life span prior to the car travelling 10,000kms or 12 months.

I'm not sure if they have really fully fixed the dilution properly, but its not as common as it once was.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:35 AM

Thx so much for the reply, so please correct me if I'm wrong resetting the pcm only allows the computer to calculate the oil quality.
It has no effect on the amount of diesel making its way into the cars oil.
I just want a bit of information before I take the car in on Wednesday.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure on the true cause or reason behind the whole fuel diluting the oil.

One fix was to supersede the dipstick with the "X" further up, another was software updates.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:32 AM

Yes that is what I've found out so far to fix the problem they made a software change that altered the dpf as well as a new dipstick.
Just need confirmation that the resetting of the computer doesn't alter the amount of diesel that makes it way into the oil.
Cheers
John

Old 08-05-2017, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Its just a reset of the calculator data. It needs to be done everytime the oil is changed.

It all depends on the driving style & operating conditions of the vehicle.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Its just a reset of the calculator data. It needs to be done everytime the oil is changed.

It all depends on the driving style & operating conditions of the vehicle.
Can the reset be done by any service provider or by a Mazda dealer only?

Old 06-25-2019, 01:19 AM

Last year I had the famous oil problem that you are describing. My local dealer is pretty hopeless but I was able to get someone at head office to talk it through with them and even though it is a 2012 model they still paid for it. I had the oil pump cleaned out. Apparently the next stage of the problem is that cam shaft goes if you don't get it early enough. 8000kms later and guess what? Now I'm trying to convince them to deal with my camshaft. My advice? Be very careful before deciding it's a computer problem. It is a known issue, and Mazda should sort it.