Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 CX-5 Stopped and won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Default 2014 CX-5 Stopped and won't start!

Just bought a 2014 CX-5 GT. I have 377 miles on it. While driving it yesterday it started to sputter on the freeway, the "Engine Inspection Required" notice came up on the dash, it stalled and wouldn't start again.

Had Mazda Roadside Assistance tow it to the dealer. They hooked up a laptop to it and cannot figure it out. They are getting a fuel error code on it, but cant pinpoint it. The Service Advisor thinks the fuel pump went out.

Oh, and yes, it had gas in the tank. I am concerned that this may happen again.

Anyone have any advice or input?

Wondering if I should get them to replace the car, provide a free extended warranty or what?

I am perplexed and frustrated. Just bought this on 4/11/13.

One other thing happened the day after we bought it. The tire pressure sensor light came on and they had to reset it. The car has been to Service twice in 2 days!

Help?

Old 04-16-2013, 04:52 PM

Just got a call from the Dealer. They stated the Fuel Control Module that supplies power to the fuel pump failed. Part will be here tomorrow and ready around lunch time.

I am however going to ask for a free extended warranty. I have lost some confidence in this car and concerned it may happen after the standard warranty expires.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:04 PM

The first I've hear of that for model year 2013 or 2014 CX-5's.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Hopefully it is just an isolated incident. Even the most reliable cars can't be 100% perfect all the time.

Unfortunately, parts will fail. What you get with the more reliable brands are less parts failing and on a lower percentage of cars. There's a lot of complex electronics in modern cars and all it takes is a weak solder joint or a single component on the circuit board giving out and it stops.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by HandA
Hopefully it is just an isolated incident. Even the most reliable cars can't be 100% perfect all the time.

Unfortunately, parts will fail. What you get with the more reliable brands are less parts failing and on a lower percentage of cars. There's a lot of complex electronics in modern cars and all it takes is a weak solder joint or a single component on the circuit board giving out and it stops.
I couldn't agree more HandA! I just wonder why it always happens to me

Just blows me away that it happened to a new with under 400 miles on it. Makes me wonder if this car was built on a Monday morning or Friday at quitting time

Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by mhag
Just got a call from the Dealer. They stated the Fuel Control Module that supplies power to the fuel pump failed. Part will be here tomorrow and ready around lunch time.

I am however going to ask for a free extended warranty. I have lost some confidence in this car and concerned it may happen after the standard warranty expires.
This sounds like mazda is going to have "issues" with this component.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kevinkpk
This sounds like mazda is going to have "issues" with this component.
The Dealer said they would have it done by noon today. But they now are saying about 4 o'clock. More leverage for me to ask for a free extended warranty. The Service Advisor said this is 1 in 100,000 and they have never seen it. I don't know how many 2014's are out there?

I will post an update on the actual diagnosis and repair once we get it. Might be good info for future CX-5 buyers!

Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 PM

DIAGNOSIS UPDATE!!!!

Don't laugh, but you just can't fix STUPID!!!

The Dealer just called. When they were replacing the fuel module, they had to take the fuel line off. When they did, they noticed that the tank was out of gas!!! But, the fuel gauge read a 1/4 tank of gas when the problem started. Here is the story, as a Dealer added item, they put TSW Black wheels on the car. The person that put the wheels on used a floor jack on the gas tank!!! Dented the gas tank that limited the fuel gauge from reading empty. During the dealer inspection they didn't see that and put the car out on the lot.

Here is what they did, put a new fuel module in it which was not broken, and an entirely new gas tank and fuel lines. The Dealer has been good to us in trying to resolve this issue, but pretty embarrassing on their part. They are detailing it and filling up the tank. At least I can sleep at night knowing that it was not a mechanical failure but a HUMAN FAILURE!!!!! I couldn't help but laugh!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM

"The first I've heard of that for 2013 or 2014 CX-5's."

No wonder, not a manufacturers defect.

Best to avoid the dealer-added stuff, the markup is usually not acceptable (not to mention the workmanship, especially if a 3rd party was involved). Interesting story for sure. Not the first time I've heard of problems caused by aftermarket accessories or the installation of aftermarket accessories by dealership.

Last edited by CX-SV; 04-17-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mhag
DIAGNOSIS UPDATE!!!!

Don't laugh, but you just can't fix STUPID!!!

as a Dealer added item, they put TSW Black wheels on the car. The person that put the wheels on used a floor jack on the gas tank!!! Dented the gas tank that limited the fuel gauge from reading empty. During the dealer inspection they didn't see that and put the car out on the lot.

At least I can sleep at night knowing that it was not a mechanical failure but a HUMAN FAILURE!!!!! I couldn't help but laugh!
It's hard to find good help these days! Dealership probably hired some one with no experience to save money, but in reality cost them more money!