Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Changed battery, now Audio system, interior lights and remote power look stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Default Changed battery, now Audio system, interior lights and remote power look stopped working

[align=left]Mazda Protege 5 (yellow) --- factory installed battery went dead after 42K miles. Got it changedand now Audio system and interior lights won't turn on. Remote power lock stopped working.

Need to know how to get them working. Please help with your valuable suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
[/align]

Old 10-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Default RE: Changed battery, now Audio system, interior lights and remote power look stopped working

Check the room fuse....

Old 10-17-2007, 10:54 PM
Default RE: Changed battery, now Audio system, interior lights and remote power look stopped working

if you lost power to the car, depending on how long it was dead for, and your remote system doesn't have it's own battery back up, it could have dropped the transponder codes, and needs to be re-programed. anything else on the remote still work? if so, then it's a fuse, but power locks should be a seperate fuse from interior lights i would think. audio system, depending on what kind, I knowmost of them have their own fuse in the back of the deck, even factory.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Default RE: Changed battery, now Audio system, interior lights and remote power lock stopped working

MazdaES -- Thank you very much. You are exactly right and it was the fuse. Took the car back to the service station and got the fuse fixed. Now, audio system turns on, interior lights work. Remote power lock/key also started working. Wow what a relief.

Shutterbug -- Thanks for your reply post.

You guys rock!

Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Default RE: Changed battery, now Audio system, interior lights and remote power lock stopped working

http://protege5.ugly.net/#ac

The link above will take you to a complete copy of the 2002 Mazda protege shop manual. I know you have a 2003, but yours should be 95% the same. I would suggest you visit each section and save it to your hard drive. It will be invaluable for further diagnosis. To purchase this book is about $150, and will save you thousands over the life of the vehicle. It is in PDF format so you will need adobe acrobat, which is also free...

Old 10-20-2007, 12:14 AM

I also have a 2003 and downloaded this manual. Thus far, I haven't found any differences between the 2002 and 2003. My guess is that any differences will be in the body, trim or a couple of minor features. The engine, ignition system, fuel system, transmission, brakes, suspension, cooling system, etc. appear to be identical and this makes sense. After all, 2003 was the last model year for the Protege and Mazda's engineers and designers were probably spending nearly all there time on the development of new models and not on making significant changes to the final model of the Protege.
[align=left] [/align]