Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2013 CX-5 cranks but no start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 08:31 AM
Default 2013 CX-5 cranks but no start.

I just encountered this yesterday morning and I couldn't find coverage of this issue on the forum. So follow along as the mechanic sorts it out.
Engine cranks fine and sometimes tries to start but can't.
I checked the MAF sensor and cleaned it but it didn't make any difference.
I hear the low pressure fuel pump working but I'm not sure it's building up pressure.
So my money is on the low pressure fuel pump in the tank area. Stay tuned.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:04 AM

Nice theory....

but what DTC(s) did you get? A no start would have generated at least a couple?

Old 12-01-2022, 09:40 AM

No codes were stored or pending. That is probably the part that irks me the most.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:45 AM

Cased closed and it was an expensive lesson.
The MAF failed and there were no ODBII codes generated. After troubleshooting the fuel supply and not finding any issues, they just umplugged the MAF.
The car started after the MAF was unplugged. After the MAF is unplugged, the codes for the MAF were generated. FML.
So I paid for that lesson. Hopefully, if you are reading this, you can avoid this and DIY.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by rodster13
Cased closed and it was an expensive lesson.
The MAF failed and there were no ODBII codes generated. After troubleshooting the fuel supply and not finding any issues, they just umplugged the MAF.
The car started after the MAF was unplugged. After the MAF is unplugged, the codes for the MAF were generated. FML.
So I paid for that lesson. Hopefully, if you are reading this, you can avoid this and DIY.
You may have some other issue unresolved. In most ALL cases when the MAF is failing or failed you will get a DTC.
The fact that your service mechanic got the DTC after manipulating the harness is an indication of other possible future issues. While there are very few cases (newer model vehicles production year from 2009 and newer) when the MAF is faulty and does not send the correct values to the ECU your attempts several times to start and failed should have generated other none related to MAF DTCs. So this is NOT (necessarily the best) DIY to follow. In most cases you would be showing members reading this thread and having many changing parts without first verifying they are bad. That in itself can and often does create additional issues on top of the original.

[QUOTE=Callisto;210109]Nice theory....

but what DTC(s) did you get? A no start would have generated at least a couple?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the editing to many times, I am passenger in a truck this morning and the road sucks. LL

Last edited by Callisto; 12-01-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:25 AM

I am glad to read you got your Mazda back up and running!

Old 12-02-2022, 03:31 PM

Zero codes generated when the car wouldn't start. Zero codes active now.
So IDK about the best solution path, but bottom line the car started without the harness plugged in. A replacement MAF would have got me back on the road at $150 instead of $575. I considered just buying a new MAF and trying it but I didn't want the waste the $75. Oh well. Lesson learned.

Old 12-02-2022, 03:46 PM

Well I won't say it can't happen, but 99% of engines primarily OBDII and some CAN-bus PCM/ECUs when I do a cylinder compression test, removing all the plugs and spinning the engine I get several codes that indicate a no start and need to reset the codes and often the monitors as well. First gen ODI not really ever. LOL

The only theory is replacing your MAF resolved the ECU condition to generate a DTC before you got a check engine light??? IDK
Never the less its always nice to read when a member Mazda is up and running again! Thanks for keeping the event updated!

Old 12-02-2022, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Seen this exact issue a few times. After the first time my go to plan is disconnect the MAF and see what happens.