Mazda RX-7 Starting in the 1970s, the uniquely powered RX-7 helped put Mazda on the performance car map.

not starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Default not starting

so a couple of days ago i try to start my 89 gtu and nothing it just turns and turns occassionally a little sputter. first of i check fuel. While the key is on the fuel pump comes on for a few seconds then stops. This is normal but i go to the manual anyhow. I do all the steps to diagnose the fuel pump that i can without a pressure guage. First off i go get a fuel filter.... car still wont start. even though the pump turns on i figure maybe the pressure isnt right. So back for a fuel pump... and still it wont start. I've checked all fuel lines for leaks and have found none. next ill be checking spark and what not. Should i be checking anything else? befor i assume the worse. any help would be greatly apprieciated

Being as it is at 182k i know its possible that it has reached its end.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Default RE: not starting

It can be flooded. Have you tried deflooding it yet to see if that works?

Old 12-16-2008, 01:06 PM

yeah, sounds like it may be flooding. it may be doing this due to low compression or a leaky injector.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Mazmart Trini

It can be flooded. Have you tried deflooding it yet to see if that works?

what i have done is bridged the yellow 2 pin connector with the batery still connected. it could be i let the pump run too long.how do i deflood it? or would mor than 24 hours of sitting do it?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:25 PM

ok so i found a plug wire with no resistance and all plugs were fowled. roughly 60 bucks and a "few" miles on a 20" Robinson i still have a rx7 that wont start. when i first got this car and was inquiring about a seal rebuild i was told what sound to listen for to tell if a seal is bad. being as i often cloud my memory herbaly and dont feel like searching cause i like getting feed back, was it a sucking or blowing sound that i would hear? earlier today while taking the plugs out individually i cranked the motor..... with a single plug out all i hear is the steady whine of the starter. no promenate pulse just a steady whine. after replacing the wires i checked that each plug was firing and the all do. also i checked that fuel was being delivered after the filter and it is.

i still dont want to completly rule that the seals went bad but thats what it is starting to feel like. are or is there any other components that could be causing my no start? tomorrow i change out the BAC and put a freash red top Optima back in it

Old 12-18-2008, 07:10 AM

You should have 3 strong pulses coming from each rotor housing while turning over the motor with the plugs out. Kind of like a locomotive sound.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:02 PM

nope no pulsing just a steady whine so i have a blown seal?