Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2.5T piston ring failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
I HAVE had both filters in my hands and I've seen them taken apart. They are identical with the possible exception of the
media itself and the country of origin. Denso makes filters for several, possibly all Japanese auto makers under the auto brand. The design is used on several other
Japanese MFGs engines. Toyota for one. Denso also markets oil filters under their own name.
Same design as Mazda filters. Anti drain back valve on some applications if called for.
Some testing results in rating Denso filters as generally decent if not superior, filters. Most auto filters are roughly 95% @ 30um.
Top of the line aftermarket filters are better than that.
ya well you should look close and maybe next time use a micrometer. And DENSO does not use the same components in all their facilities'. That is dependent on the country of manufacture and their location to name 2 examples.
Visual is the begging part top testing any oil filter. It is also the worst to use as any kind of example for its performance specification. This is where the use a variable adjustable electric pressure adjusted fixed volume fluid pump is needed to measure measure flow rates.
Your info on DENSO is vague at best and applies to many oil filter manufactures. LOL
Some DENSO product line of parts have been a long time supplier via distribution parts warehouses for years. LOL try again Dennis!
And stop looking up technical specification on filtering capacity on the internet, its obvious because had you done any real world testing it would not have been a whole number. LOL

I could go on like this all day with your nonscience, nonsense posting information Dennis and we are getting a kick out of reading it here at the shop.!!!

Last edited by Callisto; 10-11-2022 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:16 PM

And DENSO does not use the same components in all their facilities'.
DUH! Each auto MFG gets what they want from Denso. Holes or louvers in center tube, leaf or coil spring,
metal end caps or the plastic, etc....
However, once again, the two Mazda filters are identical with the possible exception of the filter media itself.
The media looks, feels, and it's the same thickness on both filters. IF there's a difference, no one knows except for
Denso, Mazda, and of course YOU.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt
DUH! Each auto MFG gets what they want from Denso. Holes or louvers in center tube, leaf or coil spring,
metal end caps or the plastic, etc....
However, once again, the two Mazda filters are identical with the possible exception of the filter media itself.
The media looks, feels, and it's the same thickness on both filters. IF there's a difference, no one knows except for
Denso, Mazda, and of course YOU.
Thank you and yes I do and so does the Filter maker of Mobil 1... and several other oil filter manufactures .... hahahaha!
Maybe you should really stop crashing forums with this topic you started to talk about on this thread and take it back to the proper thread? You did t do well there on this oil filter subject so you bring your fight here? You have total high jacked this thread that has nothing to do with oil filters . I have only been responding to your BS and am more then happy to see all this move to:
Any other options for a CX 5 Turbo oil filter other than the Mazda brand? - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Old 10-11-2022, 05:43 PM

Right back at ya! I post to clarify, expand on the information of others, and correct some questionable opinions. Often yours.
You can and will have the last word which is your need. So have it and we're done.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:59 PM

If I give an opinion I say IMO or IMHO otherwise confirmable factual!

what sucks is chicken will be on later or tomorrow with the same bs I have been through today with you. Only at least you are what I would call a better DIY.

Last edited by Callisto; 10-11-2022 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:11 AM

Hello again everyone. I have some updates.

This morning I got a call from the dealership and they said I will be receiving a brand new engine. Once they got it apart they found the cylinder wall was scratched and could not be repaired. They said it will take a couple weeks to ship and receive the engine and a few days after to install. They have provided me a CX-9 loaner. I have to say the dealer's service has been phenomenal. They even provided me a $25 gas card.

As for the engine they said it had code P0300 P0301 P0171 upon initial diagnosis. The compression in 1 was under 30 which they said is a tell tale that the engine is toast. Should be back up and running by the end of the month. Big win having it happen under warranty but alarming that it wasn't sooner. If it was defective or something wouldn't it have happened sooner? That's a lot of drivetime and miles before kaboom.

Old 10-12-2022, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ondersma80
Hello again everyone. I have some updates.

This morning I got a call from the dealership and they said I will be receiving a brand new engine. Once they got it apart they found the cylinder wall was scratched and could not be repaired. They said it will take a couple weeks to ship and receive the engine and a few days after to install. They have provided me a CX-9 loaner. I have to say the dealer's service has been phenomenal. They even provided me a $25 gas card.

As for the engine they said it had code P0300 P0301 P0171 upon initial diagnosis. The compression in 1 was under 30 which they said is a tell tale that the engine is toast. Should be back up and running by the end of the month. Big win having it happen under warranty but alarming that it wasn't sooner. If it was defective or something wouldn't it have happened sooner? That's a lot of drivetime and miles before kaboom.
At this point and with your DTC the dealership is doing a great job. I will say my experience building engine professionally does not point to the TSB and its related report. I believe in this case MAZDA and your dealership are treating you well.

Side note : Sevier cylinder wall scorching that likely caused the compression rings to fail or can cause breakage of a piston ring that can damage several combustion chamber and associated parts. Without seeing the disassembled engine including the head and pressures testing the cylinder head, dissembling the short block and thermal cleaning all the parts including any broken or fragmented parts in the pan or other areas, magnafluzing the cleaned engine block , then pressure testing the engine block there is NO WAY to conclude how the engine failed.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:16 AM

I agree @Callisto . I'm totally happy with how my dealer has treated me. They showed me the piston and the rings were cracked bad. Parts of the ring dislodged and scratched up the cylinder wall. The cracked rings and connecting rod in 1 was badly bent which they said was the evidence of a LSPI event.

I see you mentioned a TSB. Is that the low oil TSB? Mine wasn't burning or losing any oil at all so I don't see it related either.

I'll keep you all updated as things move along.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:20 AM

I agree @Callisto . I'm totally happy with how my dealer has treated me. They showed me the piston and the rings were cracked bad. Parts of the ring dislodged and scratched up the cylinder wall. The cracked rings and connecting rod in 1 was badly bent which they said was the evidence of a LSPI event.

I see you mentioned a TSB. Is that the low oil TSB? Mine wasn't burning or losing any oil at all so I don't see it related either.

Thumbs up!

Ya I am participating on too many threads engine damage related. LOL
I post each day on no less than 11 forums. Most are to answer question in a technical manor about products of mine or that I sponsor. It seems MAZDA forums have the toughest and most stubborn headed members? Not sure why and maybe that is only my opinion. Maybe I have butted heads with to many "experts" on Mazda forums. This forum has basically been my home to post mainly with respect to what I do on my personal MAZDA . But I do always try to help some members on carefully chosen threads. Or threads that catch my interest. Most threads members take care of questions and concerns very well.
Thanks for posting your response it in sorts supports my comments about finding engine damage!

Look forward to reading how it all ends for you which I am confident reading the resolve intended will be GREAT!

Last edited by Callisto; 10-12-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:29 AM

Please keep us up to date. I'm happy to see that you are being treated well.

Quick Reply: 2.5T piston ring failure