Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

1998 mazda 626 problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Default 1998 mazda 626 problem

DTC:
P0750- SHIFT SOLENOID A MALFUNCTION
P0755- SHIFT SOLENOID B MALFUNCTION
P0473- Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Electrical
P0551- Shift Solenoid A Performance or Stuck Off
P0756- Shift Solenoid B Performance or Stuck Off
P1744- Torque Convertor Clutch System Stuck in Off Position (NO SLIPPING AND TRANSMISSION IS FULL OF FLUID)
P1788- HYDRAULIC PRESSURE TEST FAILUR
P1131- FUEL TOO LEAN (CAUSED BY TRANSMISSION PROBLEM)

SITUATION:
Normal driving making a turn and i hear a loud bang like a hard shift (just got the car recently and it has a 1 year old used tranny in it and fluid is still good, still red) all i see is the O/D off light flashing then i get down the road to my work and turn in and the check engine light comes on. help!!

also i suspect that the shift solenoids and the transmission wiring harness is causing the problem.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 PM

Do all the gears work? Does it still shift or is it stuck in one gear? To lose all those systems at once with a bang is usually not good. Any strange noises while selecting gears? BTW do you mean P0743? Also how old is the tranny really? 1 year used as in rebuilt used or junkyard used? Check all electrical plugs into the transmission since they are the easiest and cheapest things to check.

Last edited by MazdaTirol; 02-13-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added questions.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by MazdaTirol
Do all the gears work? Does it still shift or is it stuck in one gear? To lose all those systems at once with a bang is usually not good. Any strange noises while selecting gears? BTW do you mean P0743? Also how old is the tranny really? 1 year used as in rebuilt used or junkyard used? Check all electrical plugs into the transmission since they are the easiest and cheapest things to check.
junk yard used and no its stuck in one gear and all the codes were taken from an OBDII scan tool

Old 02-14-2012, 05:53 AM

Ok so lets say worst case the transmission is at least 16 (since its OBDII) years old and lived in a car that had 200,000 miles then was put it in the junkyard. Since it has been replaced check your electrical connections since over time those little clips that hold them on break and they can wiggle loose. Also check your fluid level, low fluid will make the car not shift also, dunno if it will cause these issues but I am trying to start out cheap and easy, warm up the car and while standing still run the selector through all the gears and stay in each gear for 5 seconds before going to the next one IE P-R-N-D-3-2-1-2-3-D-N-R-P to get as much fluid in all the places it needs to be, then while the engine is running check the transmission fluid and note where it is at and add fluid if necessarily. Which gear is it stuck in? You can tell if its NOT 1st gear by it being ridiculously slow to accelerate and may even stall coming to a stop, does it shift OUT of that gear when you go to park or neutral? Just trying to figure out which solenoid pack or servo is not working at this point.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 AM

Ok so lets say worst case the transmission is at least 16 (since its OBDII) years old and lived in a car that had 200,000 miles then was put it in the junkyard. Since it has been replaced check your electrical connections since over time those little clips that hold them on break and they can wiggle loose. Also check your fluid level, low fluid will make the car not shift also, dunno if it will cause these issues but I am trying to start out cheap and easy, warm up the car and while standing still run the selector through all the gears and stay in each gear for 5 seconds before going to the next one IE P-R-N-D-3-2-1-2-3-D-N-R-P to get as much fluid in all the places it needs to be, then while the engine is running check the transmission fluid and note where it is at and add fluid if necessarily. Which gear is it stuck in? You can tell if its NOT 1st gear by it being ridiculously slow to accelerate and may even stall coming to a stop, does it shift OUT of that gear when you go to park or neutral? Just trying to figure out which solenoid pack or servo is not working at this point.
i did what u told me to do and nothing changed when its in drive it doesnt shift at all and its slow to accel up to 20mph same with 2 and 1 on drive selection

Old 02-14-2012, 10:41 AM

Ok this sounds like a solenoid pack issue, I dont know if these are internal or external on this transmission, I hope external since that is much easier to fix. Can you see something like this? http://images02.olx.com/ui/8/66/28/1...r-warranty.jpg this is the solenoid pack for what I hope is your transmission, the side facing bolts to the transmission so you would see it from a different angle but the solenoids are the two round silver cylinders on top. Try tapping on them with a small hammer (not hard) to see if slight impact can free the solenoids (like how you can free a stuck starter solenoid by smacking it). Once again I am trying to do this the cheapest easiest way I can think of without tearing everything apart. You can even if you want to take the risk raise the front end on jack stands so the front wheels are off the ground, have a second person in the car foot on brake testing gears while you tap on the solenoids, wiggle the wiring and just tap/hit the transmission in general if the solenoid hit doesnt work. I know this may all be a long shot but if it works you know the problem, if not your still not out any money.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:12 PM

actually i figured out the problem it was a loose connection on the shift solenoid

Old 05-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Check all electrical plugs into the transmission since they are the easiest and cheapest things to check.
Glad you found it Glad we could help too

Old 05-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned
Thumbs up

That's AWESOME! Great Find and suggestion!
Love those cheap fixes to multiple cel's!
I also have an extra ground wire going to transmission.

Attached Thumbnails 1998 mazda 626 problem-yosemitesam4.jpg   1998 mazda 626 problem-images.jpg