Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

1993 626 V6 Wont Start. Tried Everything Please HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Default 1993 626 V6 Wont Start. Tried Everything Please HELP!!!

I have a 1993 626 V6 which had a sick engine. I replaced the engine with a second hand one and it started first go after installing it and it ran great. I ran it up to operating temp and it was still running beautifully, took it for a brief test drive (car is not registered yet) and it ran great.

I started it again the next day after the first run of the engine and again it started and ran perfectly.

I then left the car for about 4 days while I was working, I changed the fuel filter as I had done the Air & Oil filters when installing the motor and ever since then it wont start. It turns over but wont fire at all. I swapped back the old filter and that made no difference. Prior to installing the filter I had put 20 litres of fresh fuel in the tank as the car had been sitting for 18 months and had very little fuel in it which I thought might be a bit stale however the engine was first started on this old fuel with no problems.

I have fuel pressure 43 PSI at cranking and for 2 seconds after cranking stops and the fuel pump shuts down. Tested with a proper EFI Pressure tester at the junction between the fuel rails as per Haynes Manual.

The spark plugs are wet with fuel in every cylinder therefore I do not believe its a problem with the fuel system.

I have checked spark at every cylinder and I have spark at all 6 pots.

The spark plugs are brand new Bosch Platinum Plugs.

The timing belt and pulleys were all replaced on the engine by myself prior to installing it in the car and I dialed in the timing perfectly, the car would not have started and ran twice if I hadn't so I dont see how it could be a timing issue.

To replace the fuel filter I had to remove the Airbox to get to it, you have to remove the airbox to get to anything on that side of the engine and I have Tripple checked every bit of wiring and vac hose in that vicinity and cant find anything wrong.

I am at my wits end, I cant believe the car that was running perfectly as it was could refuse to start now like this when it clearly has fuel & spark.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Old 02-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Take out those spark plugs and make sure they are all dry. Check the compression in the cylinders.