Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Default RE: air intake?

lol, i just wish i could find something for my 323, i love that little car, its funny to race people in cus they think u cant do **** then BAM!! zoom zoom motha BLEEP LOL!!1!1 but i got a 1988 323 hatchback and i cant find a CAI to fit it

Old 03-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Told ya' before Fevered, if you want one that bad, and I don't really know why, you canbuild one using universal CAI parts. Everything is available, you just have to figure out whatyou need (straight pieces, bends, hose connectors, clamps, filter, etc...) and connect the dots!
A CAI is only good for a couple a' HP on a good day anyway, so spending all that time and money isn't really gonna get you where you wanna be, but it can be done, I'm sure. An exhaust would get you further into the HP range though. If I were you, I'd start by spending my $$$ there.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:08 PM

I just want to add that when adding any intake (whether it is SRI or CAI) will potentially harm your vehicle in the long run. This can be prevented, though, if you modify your fuel trim ratio properly. I cannot remember the end-results from having your vehicle run for extended periods of time with lean fuel...

Anyway, with a CAI your vehicle won't be harmed all that badly in the long-term. it's more if you are sucking in a hell of alot more air than what is needed (such as having a CAI and an optimized throttle body, etc).

Old 03-22-2008, 04:34 PM

Hey -TGM- I recently had the MazdaFactory CAI system installed on my 2008Mazda3 sGrand Touring and I was skeptical about extra wear and tear on the engine just as you stated . Nobody seemed to think that if it was a factory Mazda part installed by Mazda that it couldnt possibly do harm . Granted its not the end all of horsepower but it does tend to deliver just that extra little nudge that I sometimes need when passing. Its not loud and runs smooth . Do you think that the 2008 equipment installed at the dealer is the safest bet ?? They assured me it was otherwise why would mazda include it on with the factoy warranty ??? there's NO other mods, like optomized throttle body or anything like that . It seems that Mazda would have addressed the isssue of the cold air correcting itself via the ecu and making the proper air/fuel mixture ?? Wouldnt you say that Its a safe bet that Im OK with this minor upgrade ??? Thanks Much

Old 03-22-2008, 04:43 PM

Hey V1- That sounds like good advice , I will add that if your car is still under warranty like mine , the CAI , if installed by Mazda gets included right along with your warranty , but if you "do it yourself" its only 12 months or 12K miles !!! So based on that I was sold on the Mazdaspeed since they have tested their engines more than anybody else and here in Calif it needs to be Carb spec'd which many of the smaller aftermarket companys dont have the money to get done!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sure the ECU has enough range to adjust the fuel/air ratio as much as is needed for a CAI, or even a CAI and exhaust.
Bigger valves, advancing the camshaft timing, opening up the ports and putting on a bigger intake manifold & TB would almost certainly cause an excessive long term lean condition, as it would probably take the ECU out of it's normaloperating range. That would require a redo of the fuel map, but I seriously doubt a few bolt-ons would require that drastic a measure.
I'd think Mazda would know that and either not sell the performance parts it does or have a new fuel map ready and available to dealers to flash the ECU with, don't you?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Default RE: air intake

i myself have been looking for a CAI. I live in kansas though and we get some nasty rain so I decided to get the KandN intake. It looks like I can switch it from CAI to SRI when needed. And if your engine ever has problems, just put back on the stock filter before you take it in, warrenty intact.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Default RE: air intake

V1- Yes my common sense tells me the same , if it were in any way harmful it wouldnt be sold or installed at the dealer. I know with Subaru some of the dealers wouldnt even install the OEM h.p. parts because they didnt want the liability and that made me uncomfortable , thinking that the dealers arent being supported by the MF. I am having my first experience here with Mazda and it appears that Mazda does quite a bit of aftermarket testing and is involved heavily in stock racing events around the country ( of course stock with minor mod's like CAI etc.) so they appear to have things pretty well ironed out. BUt in reply to Davedunc- Why do you feel that K&N would be superior to Mazdaspeed when it comes to foul weather . I asked about that and on my new 08- 2.3 wagon the CAI has a heat shield and is tucked away nicely down in the lower right cavity of the engine compartment , impervious to H2O contamination ? Or are you just going with K&N because you find it to be a superior product ?