Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Default air intake?

what type of air intake systems are you running on your 6's? iv been looking all over and found tons of them, buti noticed a spot on them that looks like something fits into it like a BOV or a senser or something...they all have this spot on them. also i dont want the one that goes all the way downbehind the bumper, id be afraid of water intake in the rain.. i saw ones made byaem, ingen,k&n and some other companies i never heard of...what should i get??

Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: air intake?

[font=californainfb]
They all have that mounting flange, but it's not for a BOV.It's for remounting the MAF sensor... a very necessary part of the fuel injection system.
Secondly, if you don't want a CAI (cold air intake,) you should be looking for an SRI (short ram intake.)
From everything I've read about these, if you're going to do this you should deal w/an established, reputable company (MazdaSpeed, AEM, Injen, etc.) because the location of the MAF sensor is critical in avoiding CEL's and other performance problems. If the proper research and testing haven't been done, and/or you buy a knock-off, you are asking for a whole lotta' trouble.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM

hey thanks for the info. i will look intothe SRI setupsand see whats out there. i would definatly stay brand name. its kinda like a must to me with performance parts like that. again thanks. Nick

Old 06-17-2007, 07:15 PM

I just put on a CAI on my 06 M6s. I live in Northern Ohio and am not worried about the water. The full CAI is better to get anyways because with the SRI's you are pulling in hot air in the engine bay. As far as pulling cool air in you would be better off with the stock set up as the air it pulls is cooler.

You can also get sir filter socks for the wetter months which prevents water from being sucked in.

I paid $250(?) from mazda6online.com. Phenominal price.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:18 PM

sorry, I didn't say what type, it is a Mazdaspeed CAI, relatively easy to put on. Directions were easy to follow. Dealership wanted $250 to install. 2-3 hours labor they said. I took me about 2 hours

Old 06-17-2007, 08:35 PM

honestly, i would suggest a K&N CAI,
it can be used as either a CAI, or a SRI, you just take out the lower pipe to use it as a SRI, altho it is slightly more expensive...

im running a Fujita intake right now.... had it for about a week now, and no problem so far... haha, it sounds like a turbo spooling up at higher rpms

Old 07-18-2007, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dentinger
honestly, i would suggest a K&N CAI,
it can be used as either a CAI, or a SRI, you just take out the lower pipe to use it as a SRI, altho it is slightly more expensive...
Slightly, Gracie?I blame K&N for driving CAI/SRIprices up in general. It's a lot of $$$ ($350!!!!) for some tubing, a welded flange and a universal air filter... w/a nominal 5hp (+/-) gain, but I agree that they seem to be among the best.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:22 PM

I was worried about water getting into my CAI too before i did some real research... If you get a reputable brand (AEM, MazdaSpeed, Injen) and not some built in ur backyard **** made outta PVC pipe(which by the way, you CAN do), then they should offer a Bypass valve for the kit... I know AEM offers it for my RX8, so i dont know why the 6 would be any different

Old 11-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

WOW!!! Way to bring back the dead threads, Prodigy!! At least that's what somebody always says to me when I do the same.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:41 PM

K&N for the win especially if they have a CARB approval. Hey I live in California what do you expect. You can't modify **** over here. (legally)

Quick Reply: air intake?