General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

valet/override switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Default valet/override switch

I'm looking for a bit of help with my '02 Mazda Protege.

This past week, my alarm has been going off non-stop and it was just at the mechanics on Friday! They tried to look at it, but nothing worked. I spoke with a dealership and they mentioned locking and unlocking the driver's side door (I don't have a remote door lock and hence - no alarm disarming device!). However, that didn't work. He also mentioned pushing the valet/override button under the dash and locking the driver's side door at the same time. Problem with this is that I can't locate it! Any ideas as to what I'm looking for under there?? Or advice for disconnecting this nuisance??

Any ideas/information/sympathy is appreciated!!

Old 03-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: valet/override switch

Iam unaware that theProtos ever came w/a factory alarm system, so Im ***-u-ming this to be an After Market system.
AM systems seem to be more trouble than they're worth especially in more modern cars, though I have never owned one myself.
Suggest: Disconnectthe damn thing.Pullthe plugand get rid of it.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:26 PM

It is after market, but it's a Mazda-installed alarm. I wish I could just unplug it, but I know nothing about cars! I can disconnect it, but then I don't know where the wires need to go. It's actually out right now, just to save the neighbors calling the police on me!

So is the override switch only with factory alarms? It was the dealer that orignally sold the car that suggested I try this. So I'm assuming it's there somewhere, I just can't locate it.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'm really not well equipped to answer alarm questions. I don;t know a lot about them, but if I were you, I would find the control module (under a seat perhaps? Or behind a dash panel) and just unplug the sucka'.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:40 PM

Oh, I see what you're saying.
In my case, I have it unplugged, but I still can't turn on the car. The wires I unplugged from the module need to go somewhere and that's where I'm stuck.
Thanks for your reply anyway! I'm towing it to Mazda in the morning and having them fix it. It's been 4 days with no car, and I simply can't afford to not have it in working order - taking cabs to and from work is pricey!