General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trunk release...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Default Trunk release...

Newbie here, so be kind...
I have a 99 Mazda 626es, 2.0, automatic. I love the car, but I have to give it to my son. He wrecked his car and needs one now. So, I am getting everything ready for him. My questions are....My trunk won't open with the remote or the button inside the car, only with the key. What do I need to look for? Also, I have to replace the auto shifter. I found one, but don't know what to remove or how to remove it. Are there any posts that already exist that will help me? Please advise. Thank you .

Old 10-09-2005, 03:37 AM
Default RE: Trunk release...

The trunk release may not work as described if the valet switch is turned on. The switch is located in the trunk compartment, I think on the left side but not sure. Look for a switch with a picture of the trunk opening on it and switch to other position. Should get that working. The auto shifter replace will probably require some pics and more in depth info which I will try and put together for you.

Old 10-09-2005, 06:32 PM

Thanks for posting an answer so fast. I have already checked the valet switch and it is in the on position. Any other suggestions??? And as far as the shifter replacement, any pics or help you can provide would be great. Thanks again.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:15 PM

Me again. I got the old shifter removed and the new one installed. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I didn't run into any problems. I am just always afraid to start prying on the plastic parts, afraid they will break. But got it done with no problems.
As far as the trunk release, I still haven't figured that one out. It is not the valet switch. I have tried it switched both ways and no change. I found a relay under the dash that controls the door locks, and it clicks when I hit the trunk release button. I think that might mean that the problem is in the actuator on the trunk lid that might not be working. Does this sound right? If it is the actuator, where is it, how do you remove it and replace it, and is this gonna be a dealer item???
Please help.[:@]

Old 10-10-2005, 11:00 PM

If you are hearing a click noise from the lock module then the input signals are all there . If you have a test light then check to be sure there is a voltage output at the Red wire w/ Green stripe at that same relay/module when pressing the opener button. That is the output voltage wire to the lock actuator. If Ok then may have either an unplugged or bad lock actuator. The actuator is built into the trunk latch and is accessable by removing the trim panel on the trunk. It is unfortunately probably not available aftermarket as it is part of the latch itself.