Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

My Trunk Release Stopped Working! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Default My Trunk Release Stopped Working! Help!

My trunk release stopped working on my 2008 3 i touring! It just stopped working one day...I believe it was after I got a hand car wash and the employees cleaned the inside of my car...maybe they did something weird to it. I don't know.

When I pull back the lever, I can hear something click, but it's not catching on to anything. I've tried to look to see where it maybe got disconnected at, but I know nothing about fixing cars so it was useless.

I don't want to tell my dealership because I know they are going to say something strange and charge me $400 to fix something that probably takes 2 seconds to do. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I fix it? Help!!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 PM
Default RE: My Trunk Release Stopped Working! Help!

In the trunk by the latch there is a yellow button, if thats in the wrong position it will not open from the inside lever, just push it down or up... i forget which one...

Old 06-29-2008, 08:14 PM

just take it to the dealer and have them fix in under warranty work. They will tell if they feel they have to charge you for it. As far as some yellow lever in the trunk I dont think so. It sounds like the cable came off in the trunk area.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:42 AM

The release to cancel thatis in the trunk latch, turn the key and flip the lever on the latch itself.
Section 3-15

Old 06-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry to say M3 For the Second Time but you're incorrect. Like everyone has said there's a switch inside the trunk lid which disconnects the remote trunk release. Also on the backs of the back seats there's a switch you can flip which disables the seat fold down buttons..... that way the only way into the trunk is with a key.

Now it's certainly possible that there's something else wrong with the system, but it's much more likely that the switch was flipped by accident. If that doesn't fix it then go to the dealer.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:01 PM

I had this exact thing happen to my M3, and it was indeed the yellow switch inside the trunk lid.

I'll have to look at the back of the seats to see that disable switch icspot is referring to. That's a new one on me, which is good, its been awhile since I learned something new about my M3.

The one reason to not take it to the dealer is TIME. It eats time to do a dealer run.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 PM

I found the yellow switch. Icspots is right about the lockout switch.Let us know Kevin if what was wrong with the trunk.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: M3 For Second Time

I found the yellow switch. Icspots is right about the lockout switch. Let us know Kevin if what was wrong with the trunk.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Default It worked!

Originally Posted by akusy.1
In the trunk by the latch there is a yellow button, if thats in the wrong position it will not open from the inside lever, just push it down or up... i forget which one...
Thanks so much! This is exactly what was wrong with my trunk pop and your advice fixed it! I really appreciate it.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Smile Trunk Problem, Key won't work either!

Hello, I have been reading this thread and I hope that someone will respond because I know its old, but I am having the same problem with my '08 mazda 3 i touring. When I turn my key in the actual trunk, it will turn but the trunk will not open. So it is stuck shut. How do I get to the yellow lever with the trunk closed?

I've tried going through the back seats but cannot see the lever or yellow button?

Thank you!

Quick Reply: My Trunk Release Stopped Working! Help!