General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating, air not cooling

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Default Overheating, air not cooling

My air quit getting cool and my car got really hot when I idled. It cooled down fine when I was driving. I had the radiator replaced and then the fan. It still runs hot when it idles and the air still isn't cooling. The mechanic says it is an internal problem and needs engine replacement - he said the engine getting hot caused another problem that is causing it to run hot. He worked on it a lot and didnt' charge labor. I just wondered if anyone else had this problem and if anyone has any suggestions as to whether it is worth replacing the engine with used ($2,500) or should I just trade it in.
'99 Miata, otherwise was in excellent condition.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Default RE: Overheating, air not cooling

Here's a stupid question.

Did he change the thermostat and do an engine flush?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 PM

Yes he did. In fact, he didn't charge me for the thermostat or labor because it was still overheating. As I drove it more, I noticed that the air conditioner was cutting out from time to time and that is the only time the engine got hot. Then as it turned out, the air conditioner compressor started going out so...
...the short answer is that I traded it in so it's a moot point now. The first thing they said was, "how long has the compressor been going out?" It was the right time to trade it in. In any case, it was about to cost me a LOT of money.
Thanks so much for your reply

Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 PM

No Problem... sometimes simplest answer is the right one.
What did you trade it for?

Old 07-19-2007, 01:41 PM

I traded for another Miata; Sport - just the basics except for electric windows. I really love it. They have made a lot of nice changes since I bought mine in '99 and for barely more money.

Hey, another thing that happened to my last Miata - it started taking in water from underneath the trunk somehow. I'm in Fort Worth and we had a LOT of rain for a while so at one point I bailed a couple of inches of water out of the trunk (and from around the battery!) It didn't leak when it rained, but took in lots of water when I drove and water splashed up. The mechanic couldn't find any place where it could be coming in. Doesn't matter now of course, but it had me puzzled. I wonder if that is a common issue.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Found this on the web... it might apply to your old machine. Mazda should have a "service bulletin" on this.

"There are two common places a Miata will leak water into the interior, where the top meets the windshield frame, around the windows where they contact the moldings. Leaks at the windshield frame are usually caused by dirty or damaged moldings or the latches not being tight enough. Usually you will notice the top will squeak and rattle if it isn't latched down tight.
A third leak area has been cropping up lately with older Miatas. People have reported wetness in the trunk which can be caused by one of several factors: Dried out weather-stripping around the trunk, a cracked rain rail on the convertible top, or dried out weather-stripping around the tail lights. The tail light weather-strip problem has been appearing more and more frequently on the older vehicles.
If your convertible top doesn't latch securely, or the latches seem to be difficult to close, they may be adjusted improperly. Open the latch and examine the inside. There is a small plastic 'cover' that keeps the latch adjustment screw from moving. Pop the cover off and adjust the screw as needed to get the latches to close smoothly, yet tight enough to keep the top from rattling or leaking. If the latches become difficult to open or close, a small amount of oil on the moving parts should help. Don't over tighten, as this will make the top difficult to close.
There are three moldings that fit around the window, and water can leak either between them and the window, or between them and the top. Each of these moldings is attached to a metal 'track' that is secured to the top frame with two screws. NOTE: The window molding that is closest to the windshield header is held on by two screws, the others have nothing holding them. "

Have A Good One!