Mazda3 Offered in both a sedan and wagon, this sporty model offers a great car for the family, as well a fun track car.

Overheating - Radiator / Electric Fan not turning on - missing plug??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Default Overheating - Radiator / Electric Fan not turning on - missing plug??

Hey Guys, I'm helping out on working on a friends car, 2004 Mazda 3 I trim. I'm mainly a Nissan guy, so this is new territory for me.

Symptoms, are the car was overheating. She had the thermostat replaced. Her words, the car then over heated after 2 weeks since the work was done. Consisting of a mixture of highway and city driving within that time frame. The coolant in the reservoir leaked out when it overheated she says, but inspections show that there is no hose damage. So it seems that it boiled over from the reservoir. I do know she did not replace the reservoir cap.

Things to note, the electric fan is not turning on, with a/c on or when blowing the heater on max as I tested.
There are also no codes throwing, as I tried to pull for any that might have been wiped as well.

Also, I noticed that there is a connector missing from the plug on top of the radiator, but there are no wires free to connect this too. Any chance that who ever worked on it prior cut it off? Please see google drive linked pic.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzN...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks for reading and the help in advance.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

If the thermostat was just replaced then I'm betting the system just wasn't purged properly afterwards.... sounds like air in the system. If you try to purge it try jacking up or putting the right side on a ramp to help the air get out of the system.