General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

"Hesitation" While Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:01 PM

-TexanMP3

i also had a large gash in my airhose.. i just bought a new one bc mine was severely cracked. i decided it would be best to buy a new one, bc i was scared it could harm my engine.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:18 PM

-Destinyr

the fuel economy has been fine on my car. i havent looked at my O2 sensors or at the catalytic converter yet. but recently i had considered them. the 2004 Mazda6 vV6 has 4 individual O2 sensors ranging from $50-$120 a piece. the scan tool i bought from auto-zone for around $90 is able to tell me the temp around my Cat Converter. the temp will def let you know if something is wrong with it.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chris - Mazda6V6
my problem is that when i accelerate my car tends to "hesitate" to accelerate.. it kind of stutters and i feel a loss of power...

...ive listed below some possible reasons for the problem:
1. transmission (hopefully not lol)
2. spark plugs
3. sensor of some sort
4. dirty fuel injectors
5. fuel filter/pump

I'm Kind of having the same problem, except my is Idling... my Mazda 6i sedan 2.3l 4cyl 2004. with 125k miles idles very poorly all of a sudden. To the point where while sitting at a traffic light, I stepped onto the gas and it stalled. put it in neutral started it, stalled again, put it in neutral started it and slammed on the gas which got it going... I know have very bad Fuel eccon. I was around 350 mp tank, but now im at 250 mp tank, and my engine seems to get worse when the fuel level gets to about 1/4 of a tank. I am having problems with hesitation when accelerating. I need to have my transmission flushed and serviced I know its about due for that... but what are all your thoughts???
could it be the spark plugs and coils??
could it could it be the fuel filter or fuel pump?
or is it time to get a new Mazda?

Thanks a lot guys

gcyeager8

[From Previous Post} "here is my question... I bought this 2004 Mazda 6i sedan 2.3L 4-cyl. at 25k. i bought the extended warranty, it is now 125k, and i just paid it off... and so started the problems.
the biggest problem right now is poor idling. its now so bad that in ideal the tachometer bounces and go under 1 (10k RMP) if i let It idle, it will stall... and ill have a heck of a time trying to get it started again. not until i jam my foot on the gas pedal while trying to start will it finally start. I just replaced the battery so its not that. From Reading the posts on this site i think i have narrowed it down to 3 options.
1) replace the spark plugs and coils
2) replace the fuel filter and then if that doesn't work, fuel pump. (what a job thats going to be)
3) buy a new car.

if anyone has any thoughts please post here or email me, I need some guidance, I have very little knowledge

thanks

gcyeager8" [From Previous Post"]

Old 10-06-2010, 07:25 PM

I am having hesitation problems with my 2004 Mazda V6 sportsback (110k miles).

I recently went to Firestone to get an oil change, after that the car hesitates randomly when I accelerate, so it happens I would say maybe 1 in 5 times when I try to accelerate the car.
When I push down the accelerator it hesitates and the car jerks like the fuel is either not igniting completely or is not reaching the cylinders. As I keep my foot on the accelerator the car hesitates a few times then begins to accelerate.

I took it to Pep Boys and had them do a diagnostic which they charged me ($90) for which I could have probably used to buy the computer with which is ridiculous.

The following codes came up:
PO302: Mis Fire 2 CYL
PO421: CAT
PO455: Evap Large Leak

The guy told me that I needed a new coil for the 2nd cylinder which is supposedly in the back of the car and would take around 7 hours to fix and cost me around $400. He said after we fix that then he can take a look at the other two problems.
I know that the CAT code was coming up for a year now because of the O2 sensor but the car has been driving fine until I got the oil change. I had them use high mileage oil and last time I used synthetic blend so I am not sure if this could have caused the issue also.

I would appreciate any help as I can't afford to spend that much money and don't know too much about cars.