General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

"Hesitation" While Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Exclamation "Hesitation" While Accelerating

so i am new to the Mazda Forums.. not quite sure how to navigate everything yet.. i came here to hopefully obtain some knowledge, tips, or advice to help with my car troubles. I have a 2004 Mazda 6, V6 model. i bought my car in 07 and have had it for 3 years now with vertually no problems besides replacing an air hose that was cracked.

my problem is that when i accelerate my car tends to "hesitate" to accelerate.. it kind of stutters and i feel a loss of power.. i only experience this sensation when i am accelerating, and it does NOT only happen when i am accelerating quickly.. it occurs often, yet not ALL the time.. i have a number of things in mind that may be the problem, however i am no expert on cars.. i have had a similar issue before, when i had to replace the air hose between the air filter chamber and the throttle body.. in which case the symtoms were major. after i replaced that hose, my car ran wonderful.. i checked the connections once again recently, however everything seems secure. i do have a K&N air filter that i have had for a long time now, i have no idea if that has anything to do with my issue. i havent tried many things to fix the issue yet, due to lack of time and knowledge and tools. besides i dont have the money to take my car to a shop, so i would like to try anything and everything before it gets to that point.

i would greatly appreciate any ideas or tips to help me resolve this issue. it is terribly annoying as im sure it would be for anyone, and i am worried it may be causing damage to my car somehow. any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading my post! i look forward to hearing from anyone!

ive listed below some possible reasons for the problem:
1. transmission (hopefully not lol)
2. spark plugs
3. sensor of some sort
4. dirty fuel injectors
5. fuel filter/pump

Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 PM

any CEL codes?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Default couple questions

1. did you get a actual k&n system or just took the box off and stuck a filter on it
2. if so what did you do with the sensor
well i am 99% sure it is the MAF sensor that is the problem cause i have that problem with my car and it does the same time and since its in consistant with the misfire its not anything mechanical its something computerized sadly i find that to be mazda's problem just check all sensors make sure there is no vacuum leaks within the air system.......... im wondering about your intake if possible pictures would be awesome

Old 05-14-2010, 11:47 PM

I'm having the same problem, but only when I put my car in Reverse. I have a Mazda Tribute 2001, and I've only recently noticed it's been hesitating when I put it in reverse and give it gas. Today, it wouldn't move until I really gave it gas. My Tribute is an automatic, but it's acting like it's a manual when I put it in reverse. Putting it in drive, no problems and accelerates nicely. If the problem if found with yours, it may be the same problem with mine in reverse.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:30 AM

I had the same issue on my protege. The problem turned out to be a large gash in the airhose. See if that is the culprit before messing with the air flow sensor or anything else. The temporary fix is clean the dirt and grime from the hose and wrapping it with hose tape (duct tape) around the hole to create a seal.

I am not sure how much the other items cost to repair for your vehicle, but duct tape is less than $10.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:28 AM

I have a 01 tribute v6 3.0 and it has gotton really bad on fuel i get about 270 to 300 km per tank of fuel now my engine light is on with the code p0430 but i couple of years ago i had the catalytic converter cut off because it was pluged up and everything was fine untill a couple of weeks ago my light came on and it is really really bad on fuel does anyone know what i could do to get my milage back to where it should be is the o2 sensor reading that the cat is bad cause its gone and will replacing the 02 fix this or ht is o2 really bad and idea would help please

please help me

Old 09-18-2010, 02:49 PM

sorry it took so long to reply.. from April til about a month ago, i hadnt had any CEL codes. however i recently bought a scan tool bc i had some lights come up, and it turns out i was having a Cylinder 5 misfire. thats what the code stated. so i replaced the Coil on Cylinder 5 and it ran great for about a month. then i had more codes a few days ago.. saying clyinders 1 and 4 had a misfire. replaced two more coils and its running great again. thanks for your post

Old 09-18-2010, 02:51 PM

i havent bought any sort of intake system for my car. i simply replaced the air filter itself with a K&N filter.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:57 PM

actually once i did have the problem puting my car in reverse.. it was so wierd.. its only happened maybe twice.. not in a long while. i have no idea what the problem may have been. my shift **** has also been getting stuck in park.. it slides over, but not down.. for some reason i think the temperature outside has something to do with that.. maybe i just need some sort of lube service or transmission service to fix those issuses. and to clarify my car is an automatic not manual. im at about 104k miles now. so i know i need some services soon. i have no idea what could be effecting our cars in reverse.. strange problem. hopefully nothing too expensive for our sake.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:58 PM

oh and i did use some MAF sensor cleaner, that did help a little, bc one side of it was black lol.

Quick Reply: "Hesitation" While Accelerating