General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

DIY Mazda Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Default DIY Mazda Owners

Hello Everyone,

Im looking at the 6 and CX5 and I thought I would reach out and hear about people's experiences. I'm particularly interested in how easy it is to maintain the car, has anyone had experiences replacing:

struts, brakes, suspension bushings
spark plugs, alternator, water pump, oil and transmission fluid

I'm not talking about pulling the engine or anything here, just how easy is it to get around and get basic things done.

What are your overall experiences with Mazda and the cars?

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2015, 06:12 PM

My '92 Mazda pickup has been in the stealership one time. A recall to replace the rims. They overtorqued the lug nut (of course). I never took it back. When it got crunched in an accident a couple of years ago, the local body shops wouldn't touch it. I got a left front fender, grill, end cap and entire left front turning signal and running light assembly, all from Rock Auto. Matched the paint to a spray can at Farm Fleet and repaired it myself.

About five years ago, the leaky capacitors on the ECU stopped it dead. I had the board rebuilt and it runs great.

The difference between you doing the work and letting somebody else do it is . . . YOU CARE about the machine. They care about the bill.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:55 PM

I couldnt agree more. You could keep it running near forever if you fix it right. Thats why im asking to see if mazdas are diy friendly.