General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

From Bose sound/Hello to whatever you want?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 05:22 AM
Default From Bose sound/Hello to whatever you want?

Hey everybody. I have a quick question that has been on my mind. For all the people that have a mazda 6 or who know about them. Okay, you know the audio/visual display above the dash that either says Bose Sound or Hello when the car is turned on? Well, I want to figure out away to reprogram the computer to say what ever I want. I dont know if this is possible but I there has to be a way because it is on there to begin with. If anybody has anything on making this possible, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Default RE: From Bose sound/Hello to whatever you want?

ORIGINAL: MichaelDunn

Hey everybody. I have a quick question that has been on my mind. For all the people that have a mazda 6 or who know about them. Okay, you know the audio/visual display above the dash that either says Bose Sound or Hello when the car is turned on? Well, I want to figure out away to reprogram the computer to say what ever I want. I dont know if this is possible but I there has to be a way because it is on there to begin with. If anybody has anything on making this possible, PLEASE let me know. Thanks.
Ha! You should program it to say "sexy beast" when it starts.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:00 AM
Default RE: From Bose sound/Hello to whatever you want?

ORIGINAL: MichaelDunn

I'm in the same prediciment with my '06 3. I'd bet a cup of Starbucks finest that it can be done via some undocumented button combination. My daughters Scion has you hold the mute button while turning on the key. That puts the "hello" line into edit mode -- doesn't work on my Mazda unit (6 disk changer, not Bose). Since you know who made your unit, you might contact Bose Tech Support and pose the question to them.

It's a little off subject, but I have discovered that with the unit on, holding down the "FM/AM and CD" buttons together for about 4 seconds brings up "DIS ON" on the display. Doing the same with the "Sat and Media" buttons gives you "DIS OFF". Obviously a toggle control for something, but I don't know what! Display or Disk?? My guess is that some other obscure combination will do the display -- I'd be very suprised if the manufacturer burned "Hello!" permanently into ROM.

While we're on the subject of changing things, I'm also looking for undocumented "features" that may very well be hidden in the chassis control software for changing such things as automatic door lock functions. Almost from the advent of computer based controls on cars, what essentially amounts to secret codes have been embedded in the software to change how things work. Most are very obtuse and you won't just stumble onto them -- I believe Ford at one time had a way to disable the "Fasten Seatbelt" light that went something like turn the key on and off, fasten and unfasten the seatbelt 3 times and turn on the headlights. That isn't the real sequence, but it was just about that complicated. Anyway, if anyone knows about such things I'd sure like to know! Remenber, you most likely can't hurt anything by experimenting with different combinations. Just try to remember what you've done so that you can undo what happens if you don't like it!