General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Travel Trough the Panamericana Edited! You wana click,yes you want!!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Default Travel Trough the Panamericana Edited! You wana click,yes you want!!

Hello: Im new In the forum, and I have to say thats really interesting, but now, the poin!
My Moto is, you not dream your life, you live your dreams. Thats why I want to expose to you and I day I have in my head since a long time.
Travel the Panamericana, from Ancorage, Alaska, till Osorno, Chile (or complete, till Usuahia, Argentina) .
I have not I idea how to manage the time, the money, my studies..etc..but, want is can. The only thing I now, is that Im gona to it with my girlfriend (she is so crazy as me xD), and do it before "falling" in the circle of life (work, familie, responsabilities, and so).
And I also have not Idea when to do it, I hope in one or two years, and also dont know how...
I would Like to fligh to Ankorash, where I would buy a second hand vehicle (a jeep or pickup) for not more than 3000US$ (there is where you enter). Of course, I dont know how to buy a Car as Chilean in USA, and all this stuff, but I have to investigate....and also, I have to plan it with, taxes, food, things, campings, and a loooooong etc.

Also, I want to start making a plan! =D
Could you help me, telling me wich model of vehicle would suit best for me (and for bad roads and mud), it has to have space, no mechanical problems, be easy to repair, not to use a lot of gas (or oil), have place to sleep and for carry camping stuff, and where to buy, and how works the thing with documents in USA (I have Visa and international driving licence).
1º Be able to drive in bad roads, such as those roads from Center America, you know, mud, rain, jungle. Also, be stable and "a good friend", I mean, fight with every tipe of road I could find.
2º4WD (not strictly necessary)
3ºMax price of 4.000US$
4º Be easy to find technical support and parts.
5º Be easy to repair
6º Have enaugh place for taking luggage for a 3 (or more) moth journey (tents, water, oil, etc and to sleep in there (also dont be cold (sleeping))
7º For every Oil liter drive 10or more kms (7miles) (how do you say that? =P)
8ºIt would be better if Diesel or any alternative energy xD.
9ºBe easy to sell after used.
10º And with, points 1,6 and 9, the most importants...that it wouldnt be a "head ache".

In mind;
http://c.kazuo.tripod.com/1990_mar-2.jpg Nissan Terrano
http://z.about.com/d/4wheeldrive/1/0...DSCF0glc1a.jpg Land Cruiser
http://www.suspar.com.br/Carros/Imag...50.jpgCherokee
http://images.consumerguideauto.hows...9141990202.JPG
Pathfinder
http://mujergorda.bitacoras.com/arch...chia/combi.jpg
a Combi xD.

What would you recommend?
Thanks and Greetings from Chile
Bazikstano
PS2: sorry 4 my english...if you could help me to improve it!!!!sos.
Thanks and Greetings From Chile!!!
Bazikstano

PS: Con copia en Español, mi lengua materna!!

Bz.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:22 AM
Default RE: Travel Trough the Panamericana

Como estas....I'd recommend a Jeep Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee.) if you're looking for cheap. They were produced from 1984 up through the late 90's...They are plentiful and fairly reliable. There is even a Baja 1000 race class called "Jeep Speed" that are are based off of the Jeep Cherokee chassis with a few modifications. You're going to want a winchto run the Panamericana...and most likely more than one vehicle. Trying something like that un-supported is a good way to disappear in the jungle.

Weather is the other part of it...You don't want to be in the winter in Alaska, and not too sure you'd want the summer in Central/South America (rainy season?) Roads can become unusable at certain times of the year.

I dig off-roading.....here's my 1974 Ford Bronco project.....

Good luck to you and I hope youachieve your dream.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2513/25307C1281E3442992C6D921FB15BC57.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Muy bien, muy bien!.
Well..your Idea is cool, but you know, in this jeep there isnt enaugh place to carry stuff andto sleep in there (when is raining or cold). Yes, its better for mudy and hard roads..but...hum...
what about a combi? and if I could get more money and buy a Land Cruiser or a Terrano? I think I could find one from 1990 for 5.000U$..what do you mean? (4xample: http://www.automart.com/vehicledetai...saint-louis/mo)
Nissan TerranoLand Cruiser

It dosnt have to have those flowers xD.

hum...saving panama channel is another problemm..but now find the best car! =D

Old 04-13-2007, 07:37 PM

Jeep Cherokee is roughly equal in size to the Nissan you posted.

Here is an Autotrader search I did real quick...You can see there are many in the $1000-$3000 USD range

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search..._type=priceASC

Old 04-13-2007, 09:52 PM

Bah! I just based my opinion in the picture posted by sstlaure!!

edit: what about gran cherokee?

AND what has Mazda to offer?

Old 04-13-2007, 11:47 PM

My truck is purely for play (1974 Ford Bronco...no top, no doors, not practical at all, but lots of fun.)

Grand Cherokee is unibody, still works, just not as good off-road as solid axle (which is the design of the Cherokee) If you want something bigger, look for a Grand Wagoneer. They made them from 1962 to 1992.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:39 AM

What do you mean that its is not as good as solid axle? =P

Hum...you know...I would like to have something newer...cause I dont wana have to repair the car in the midle of Nicaragua's jungle.

Old 04-14-2007, 02:39 AM

Solid front axle tends to be stronger (one continuous tube between the front tires rather than a-arm type suspension)

If you want to buy something here in the US, that is inexpensive and parts are plentiful for, I'd stick with the Jeep Cherokee. For the trip you are talking, you're talking about probably having to modify the vehicle some prior to going on your trip. You may want to search on Pirate 4x4 (another web forum, but for off-road)

Old 04-14-2007, 07:24 PM

Aja! Thanks!!!
But 2 question more!..
what kind of modifications do you mean?
and...whats the mileage of a Cherokee from year 1988-1995 (aprox)?

Old 04-14-2007, 10:45 PM

I've seen plenty of Cherokee's running after 150-200,000 miles (depending on how they were treated)

Not too sure how rugged the Panamericana gets (I assume there are places in Central/South America that barely resemble a road, right?

At a minimum I would want some Mud Terrain tires (aggressive) anda winch (electric powered spool with cable and a hook that mounts on your bumperto pull you out of trouble should you get stuck.)

Here's one that is "modified" like what I'm talking about, has only 52,000 miles (not too sure if I believe the mileage.) and is $3800 USD.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...mp;cardist=456

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Travel Trough the Panamericana Edited! You wana click,yes you want!!