Electronics, Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the powertrain control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

Engine cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Jer
Default Engine cuts out

I have a 94 Mazda 626 Es that runs great but stalls after a bit of driving or running it out of gear for a while in the garage. Anyone have a similar problem? I know the following are OK, fuel filter changed, air mass sensor reads good, TPS sensor good ohms- adjusted, Crank position sensor OK 640 ohms.
I can crank a smooth running engine that just dies from 3,000 RPM to0 in an instant.
After death of engine I can start it easily after waiting a few seconds.
Come on this is not an unusual problem?

Old 05-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine cuts out

One possibility is the fuel sock locatedat the fuel tank pick up before the fuel pump. It may be drawing dirt into it as the pump calls for fuel and creates vacuum. Then after sitting a few minutes, releases the dirt back into the fuel tank. Just a thought....
Is the fuel pump even running when this happens?

Old 05-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Jer
Default RE: Engine cuts out

Thanks for the info Virgin1,
Fuel pump is running.
To check codes without a reader place a jumper wire in the diagnostics at first row position #3 and 2nd row #1.Turn on ignition ( just dash lights - don't start eng. ) watch for check engine light flashes ( slow flash first digit faster flashes 2nd digit ).
I just replaced the crank position sensor ( code 2 ) thinking that was it, drove it and also stalled.
Cleared all codes ( press brakes pedal with neg battery terminal disconnected, reconnected the Neg battery treminal and came up with a code 25 ( 2 slow flashes and 5 quicker flashes of the check engine light. Know anything about code 25?

I believe this is a code for fuel,your suggestionwasclose. It is the Regulator Control Selenoid. I tested it by blowing through and found it questionable, it does not shut off vacuum completely to build pressure in the injectors. Electronically it measures 450 ohms and activates. Vacuum from the manifold source is good.
I have found it hard to locate this part, dealers are confused part #'s on original equipment don't match replacements Mazda parts. Too many solenoids for all the different models and Mazda dealers parts dept's freak to find locally ( Chicago ) a replacement.

I will find the part and continue to report after testing. Any one else have this problem?