Mazda Tribute This low-priced SUV allows the driver the versatility of an SUV without the big fuel bill of many of the vehicles in the SUV class.

Gearshift Indicator always showing Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 05:28 PM
Default Gearshift Indicator always showing Neutral

I have a 2001 Tribute V-6 with 138000 miles

For the past few days, the gear indicator on the dashboard always has the indicator box around Neutral, even when the car is in Park or Reverse or Drive. For example, when I'm parked the indicator box will be on Park but also on the Neutral, and when I'm driving the box will be on Drive and Neutral both.
By box, I mean the square indicator that shows up around the gear you're in, whether its P, R, N. or D. The box is always on the N.

As far as I can tell, everything is functioning normally. There are no trouble lights on and I can park, reverse, and drive with no problem.

Is this indicating some underlying problem, or what can I check for?

Old 10-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

These indicators used to be controlled remotely by a cable that physically moved the indicator, or box as you call it. I'm not sure that's still the case, but it might be something as simple as a broken cable or that it just came loose from where it goes in.
Another possibility is something has jammed in there not allowing it to move. You'll have to have a closer look, or get someone to do it for you.
As far as I know, there are no other reasons this might be happening, e.g. indicating an overdrive lockout for example.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:24 PM

thanks, I'll open up the steering column and see what I can find

I think the indicator is just an electronic/lcd indicator rather than it being physically moved by a cable

Old 10-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

It's entirely possible. That's one reason I drive a manual.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:17 AM

finally figured out what it was - the check engine light started coming on a few days ago. The code was P0708, which is a transmission sensor/neutral safety switch. There is a video on youtube about it as well, and the problem I was having with the neutral and park indicators on at the same time was one of the symptoms the person in the video was having too.

The switch is near the top of the engine near the battery and under a radiator hose, so it doesn't look very hard to replace. The part is $43. I had a radiator hose leak a few months ago on top of where the switch is, so the leaking coolant may have damaged the switch.