Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 AM

I found it hard to get the thing to cancel out a destination during use. Also, the 2-D image is always going the wrong direction. I like to see the direction of travel going up and not down as you drive.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 PM

I like to see the direction of travel going up and not down as you drive.
There is a setting (under settings) which will keep the direction of travel upwards.
I have only had my car for a week so I cannot give a strong opinion on the Nav system. I do like the fact is it is showing all the roads in my area , which is an accomplishment in of itself.(I live in the middle of nowhere near the Canadian border). Likely if I was going to make a complicated trip I would remove the SD card and use Tomtom home program on my computer to plan the trip.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:28 PM

I love the NAV system. It works like a charm for me.

My issue is with night mode. Even though I have the display option set to "auto", the NAV does not go into night mode (black background instead of the green grass) at night.

I can put it in night mode manually and then it works but it doesn't seem to do it automatically. Anyone else having this problem???

Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by just cruisin'
I love the NAV system. It works like a charm for me.

My issue is with night mode. Even though I have the display option set to "auto", the NAV does not go into night mode (black background instead of the green grass) at night.

I can put it in night mode manually and then it works but it doesn't seem to do it automatically. Anyone else having this problem???
night mode (when selected to automatic) comes on with the headlights, not the time of day
and you need to have a dark theme selected for the nightmode, there aren't day/night modes for individual color schemes, they're independent of each other in the color scheme settings

Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM

Thanks for that suggestion. I changed the night mode to Mazda Night.

It still did not work. The navi screen is not going into night mode when it is dark out and/or the headlights are on.

I wonder if the navi system has a defective sensor?

Anyone else experience this???

Old 07-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Hi,
My CX-5 Tomtom Home button on the screen is grey so it doesn't work.
The keyboard ABC does not respond.
Voice recognition hasn't a clue. Library becomes Taco Bell?
It seems to announce you have reached your destination whever.
Any ideas on any of these problems?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by just cruisin'
Thanks for that suggestion. I changed the night mode to Mazda Night.

It still did not work. The navi screen is not going into night mode when it is dark out and/or the headlights are on.

Anyone else experience this???
prolly not a sensor because it's keyed to the lights, lights on (parking or head, regardless of if its manually switched or using the 'auto' mode on the stem) and its supposed to go to 'night' mode
you're positive that in the main setup menu (setup button) that its set to 'auto'? if you have it set to 'day' it wont ever change

Originally Posted by ChetB
Hi,
The keyboard ABC does not respond.
Voice recognition hasn't a clue. Library becomes Taco Bell?
It seems to announce you have reached your destination whever.
Any ideas on any of these problems?
you have to set the position for home first i believe
unit is extremely laggy, especially when using screen input
yeah the voice recognition is garbage, make sure you've done all updates (firmware and maps) then call tomtom and complain a lot about it, and then call mazda and do the same

Old 07-21-2012, 08:17 AM

Being this is a new car no wiring diagrams are available. At least none I can find. However as the other poster mentioned I would make sure the headlights are set to auto. It is just intuitive the car has a single light sensor.

This happens when no home has been set.
Below is a link to the tom tom user guide:

TomTom

Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 PM

Okay - auto dimming problem solved!

The instrument panel brightness **** was set too high. I turned the **** slightly lower and like magic the night mode came on when the headlights were on.

I even brought it to the dealer and they didn't know what was wrong. They had me make a service appt for next week so I can leave my car there and they can dig into the problem.

It was my husband and me trouble shooting the system that uncovered the solution. Shame on Mazda for not being able to figure this out when I brought it in!

Old 09-14-2012, 02:07 PM

agreed, the voice recognition sucks. I can't believe this is from TomTom, its terrible (some of the default settings are just silly). On my other car, a aftermarket kenwood w/ garmin is awesome (no voice recognition tho).

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on the Cx-5 Nav system?