Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 MAZDA CX5 -Audio and IPOD

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by CX5'R
For all those that did/did not sign the petition, I received this email today from the creator:

"First of all, thank you all for the signatures on this petition.
I've been pushing Mazda North America via phone/e-mail for an update, and have e-mailed Mazda Canada and UK, but haven't received any responses internationally, unfortunately.

I regret to inform you that the 2015 Mazda6 has been released with all of the same issues as the 2014 Mazda6 and CX-5.

Although my hope is fading, **We can't give up yet!**

If you can, call 1-(800) 222-5500 and tell a customer support agent about the issues you're experiencing with your radio/head unit, and refer to this petition.

If you know of any other ways to resolve our issues, have technical expertise related to Linux (and knowledge of how to change the firmware on our units), or have news of a coming update, feel free to send me an e-mail at my personal address, dan@cyclopscomputers.com.
Or, contact the user "danstheman7" (me) on Mazda6Club.

I promise not to e-mail you too often, just thought i'd provide you with an update with our current situation.

I hope all is well with you all, and best of luck moving forward.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Dan."
Hi Dan,

Many thanks for your post above. I phoned the number you listed and I assume it's Mazda USA as the lady I spoke to gave me the number for Mazda Canada (1-905-787-7000). Both people I spoke to knew instantly what issue I was speaking of about the USB port and told me they were working on a fix for it. Neither knew when it would be available but did assure me it was being addressed. I explained to the woman from Mazda Canada that there was an online petition going around (per your posting above)...and she was not aware of that but proceeded to note that down in her records (as if to imply she would let someone else know higher up the food chain). I guess the more people that complain, the better.

I've owned my CX-5 for a month now. Absolutely love it...except for the audio having to reload each time via the USB port.

How exactly would this issue be fixed though?? Would they have to completely rip out the stereo system and put a new one in?? I wish they would...because this Boze system sucks. Or will this be as simple to fix by downloading a file into the USB port taking but a few seconds??

I urge people to phone Mazda and log your complaints with this issue (and post your results here). From the sounds of it, they are very aware of this problem and they are working on it....but we can't let up with the pressure to have this fixed.

Zoom zoom!!

Last edited by Bon Scott; 03-29-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 AM

My dealer has told me the issue is with the Bluetooth module and other postings on various forums seem to confirm that the USB runs directly into that module. So that makes sense.

You can bet if the Bluetooth module behavior can be fixed by software alone, that will be the way Mazda does it (it's much cheaper and faster). But without knowing what that module is technically capable of in terms of software updates, a fix could involve changing out that module.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:01 AM
Default Bluetooth and TomTom update

Bought my CX-5 in Sept 2013 and took it in for the 5K mile oil change last week. They said that there was a TomTom and Bluetooth update also, which they performed. The maintenance guy couldn't tell me what the update included. I notice no difference in functionality since the update (still no shuffle). Any idea what the update is?

Old 04-11-2014, 10:58 AM

I just called Mazda USA customer support (1-(800) 222-5500) to tell them about my USB issue, and the woman I spoke to (Lisa) told me several things which I think have already been shared, but which I still find interesting:

- While she gave me the usual spiel about this being "the way it was intended to work" she did say she has had several calls about this issue, so they were very aware of the problem.
- She said she couldn't confirm a release date, but that Mazda was looking into an update for this issue. She couldn't specify whether it was a software/hardware update. She also said that if I hadn't heard anything by May/June, to feel free to give her a call back.
- She did give me a reference number for my call, and told me that they were collecting all references to this issue, which tells me that it can be very helpful for our cause if we more of us call in! She said the more references they get to this issue, the more aware they become of the problem.

So if you have a chance, I highly encourage you all to call in and register your complaint with them!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:01 AM

- While she gave me the usual spiel about this being "the way it was intended to work" she did say she has had several calls about this issue, so they were very aware of the problem.

Wow, if they intended it to work this way, the designer of their system obviously never listens to music, or it was designed by a crash test dummy. By stating such things they are only sounding more stupid. Admitting to a design flaw would be much better on their part as it makes them sound more intelligent.

For USB it always goes back to the first song. I found that if you turn off the music before you turn off the vehicle, it always goes back to the beginning but if you leave the sound system on and turn off the vehicle, I think it restarts where it was left off, at least in my CX-5 (for Bluetooth only). It also always prefers bluetooth to USB. If you were listening to USB, it always reverts to Bluetooth after you start back up. For such an otherwise superiorly designed vehicle, these USB/Bluetooth issues really make it frustrating to use an otherwise nice sound system.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM

LATEST UPDATE FROM PETITION:

"First of all, thank you again to all of the loyal people who have called Mazda about their issues with the NB1 Infotainment unit in our cars.
Whether you are from the USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Europe, Australia, Belgium, The Netherlands, or one of the many other nationalities who have taken part in this petition, I greatly appreciate your help.

*****I'm happy to report a bit of new information!*****

Recently I spoke with Mazda North American Operations, about the issues listed in the petition. Although I've been politely badgering them for months, I received official verbal and written confirmation that an update is in the works!

Now, the employee was unable to give an exact timeline for the update (not a surprise), but the update is "In the final stages of testing" over at Mazda Motor Corp in Japan, and is coming "soon". Although, again, I was told it could be weeks or months, we now have official confirmation of an upcoming update from a legitimate source!

Also interesting is the small tidbit of information the representative mentioned in passing (and had been rumored about around the forums beforehand): The update may include Hardware AND Software.

Take that information as you will, since it was said in passing, but we now officially have confirmation that an update is coming, and soon!

Once I hear an official confirmation the update is out, whether from my dealer or from the Mazda Customer Experience Center, I'll send a final burst message out to you supporters, and close the petition and mark it successful.

Without a doubt, this petition influenced Mazda's decision to try and resolve our issues.

Now let's just be patient! Hold on tight

Thank you again, and if anything else changes, you'll get another message from me.

As always, you are welcome to contact me personally at dan@cyclopscomputers.com with any comments or suggestions you may have.

Best Regards, and Happy Monday!
-Dan"

Old 05-12-2014, 10:13 AM

Sooooo . . . it's been almost a month since the announcement of a possible update. Anyone have any word or confirmation about whether it's still happening? I'm beginning to feel discouraged again . . .

Old 05-13-2014, 06:26 AM

i went to my dealer today as i was told a month or so by uk customer service that there would be a hardware/software bluetooth recall and i was told end of april beginning of may.i was told by the tech guy that there is still no date but it is going to happen as he has been told about it at a recent meeting.lets hope it happens soon

Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 AM
Lightbulb De Jo vu

Yes this is all too familiar. I did "sign" the petition. To date I have received no notification of any action from Mazda that they are taking any action on the problem and I did report th problem to my Dealer and Mazda corporate nearly one year ago.

I did in fact write the Mazda US President. I did not receive a written reply but did receive a call from the person who monitors this forum for Mazda. What I found out is this is a person who calls and tells you what he has been told to tell you. "We know about the problem sand we are looking in to it. "He has no information whether they will or will not fix the problem. He is not part of the engineering team and has no other information than what he is told. He told me I would not receive a written reply yo my letter. This was 4-6 months ago.

It is beginning to look like Mazda is going to do nothing. There is one tactic which may not have been taken by anyone. That is to send information on the problem, including the petition and the link to this site and Thread, to all of the Major car review magazines and sites including Consumer Reports. Continuous updates should be sent regarding Mazda inaction.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Talking recognition

I called Mazda USA today, May 13 2014 and the customer service agent told me that Mazda is aware of the problem with the I-phone that I asked about and they are working on a solution. No date was specified for a fix. I find that a bit annoying, but at least I didn't get any excuses. Hope they fix it soon.

Quick Reply: 2014 MAZDA CX5 -Audio and IPOD