Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

my 323 feels like it's not getting gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Default my 323 feels like it's not getting gas

I recently was given a 323, and it started to crap out on me. So I checked the fuel filter and it was right clogged so i changed it. It still crapped out. I then Checked the rotor and cap and they had seen better days, so i changed them too. I took the car out for a rip and didn't even make around the block before it bogged out on me. The thing i don't get is when it stalls i can start it up again no problem and it will drive for a good 10 secs or so then crap out again.

If anyone has any thoughts on what could be causing the problem I'm all ears.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Default RE: my 323 feels like it's not getting gas

Did you ever get this figured out? I just bought a 1994 Mazda 929 and it is doing the same thing. I have two mechanics working on it, and they are at a stand still.It will start and idle for as along as you want and then when you hit the gas, it dies. At first you would be driving down the road and it would start to lose power and eventually die completely. You could let it set for a time and it would start up again and do the same thing then it graduated to nothing at all!! Help if you know anything about it!! I bought this car for a work vehicle because I travel alot, I HAVE to get it running..thanks so much

Laura

Old 02-08-2008, 04:21 PM

This one is hard to say.

What does 'bog' and 'crap out' entail? Does it die like 'you shut off the key' die? Or does it slowly sputter out until the RPMs drop below a self-sustaining level?
A 'key die' would be like how the Delorean died in Back to the Future when Marty was lined up for the lightning bolt. (best examples I can think of. lol.......did you try banging your head on the horn?... )

If it's 'key', then you have a spark problem.
If it's 'sputter', then you have a fuel or relatedproblem.
The differences CAN be subtle, especially if it only dies on the road.

If it'll idle forever, will it die when power braking (not moving)? Does it die during just a higher rev (say, when you're trying to warm it up on a cold day?)

Try disconnecting the exhaust at the manifold and take it for a ride. You may have a plugged up catalytic convertor if it slowly loses power, then dies.

Just possibilities, here.

Key problems could also be related to the 'ignitor', which may or may not be located inside the distributor, itself.
I have an '88 929 where the ignitor is mounted on the left strut tower.

Give these a shot, try cheaper first.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:41 AM

Ok I had the same exact problem with my 323 and it was the ground wire from the battery to the chassis.Try replacing that wire,and if that doesnt work there is a black wire connected to theengine onthe driver side(ground wire) Its the ground for the injectors.check thatout

Old 02-15-2008, 11:29 AM

I had the same problem with my 626. I replaced everything with no improvement. My buddy told me about this website www.premiuminjectorservices.com.They cleaned and rebuild injectors. I sent mine in and had them cleaned. When I put them back on everything worked great. Hopefully this helps. Good Luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 PM

MAKE SURE YOUR SPARK PLUG WIRES ARE IN ORDER!!!! this is basically what happened to mine in the first place until i had a mechanic sort em out, easiest thing to mess up, so make sure those, and your timing belt are in order

Old 03-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Before you do this with your injectors, try the cheaper route first. Take off enough of your intake to be able to spray Gumout down the throat of your throttle body while revving it up quickly, but for short bursts. That helps to clean your injectors the cheap way. Then, buy some SeaFoam and use some in your oil and in your gas tank. Good stuff.

Third, I agree with checking to see if the catalytic converte is bad. How many miles you got on the car? Is this the original cat?

Fourth, and this may be a little spendy, but you may be having trouble with your fuel pump.

Check your timing while your at it. It's probably not related, but it sure won't hurt.

Good luck.