Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. ALMOST anything goes.

Smell of cigarettes in the coupe of recently bought Mazda 6, can't get rid off it

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 04:43 PM
Default Smell of cigarettes in the coupe of recently bought Mazda 6, can't get rid off it

Hi guys,

I subscribed here as a last resort of help about my problem.
I recently bought Mazda 6 TS2 diesel estate 2008. At the viewing I was immediately put off by the condition of the interior - dog hair on the back seats, filthy smell of cigarettes and what's not. Took it for a ride and even the driving wheel felt a bit sticky. Though I thought the price is OK, I will give it a proper cleaning and bring the car to live as it didn't seem to have any other issues. You know that feeling "there is something about that car".
Well, when I first saw her after the full valeting, my hart skipped a beat - she looked stunning. Drove away happy as all inside smelled nice and fresh... Until the next morning when as soon as I opened the door I could smell kinda residual cigarette odour. Brought her back for a second try - thanks to the guys from Wandsworth Car Wash & Valeting Centre, they tried everything. It was better but that cigarette odour still creeps in from somewhere and I don't know if it can be removed at all.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 12-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Try replacing the A/C pollen filter & try a A/C deoderiser treatment.
Are the seats cloth or leather?
Shampoo seats & carpets?
Maybe try another car detailer?

Old 12-04-2015, 08:55 AM

I just checked the air filter was like new, very surprised actually but yes... Seats are cloth and they don't seem to smell after the two valeting treatments. I'll try Pro-Tec Klima Fresh and will write back. Thanks

Old 12-04-2015, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

What "air filter" did you check?

The pollen filter is located behind the glove.box.

I had a old Nissan that stank of old diff oil or transfercase oil. I tried shampooing seats & carpets, worked for a while then the smell came back. Ended up replacing seats & carpets.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
What "air filter" did you check?

The pollen filter is located behind the glove.box.

I had a old Nissan that stank of old diff oil or transfercase oil. I tried shampooing seats & carpets, worked for a while then the smell came back. Ended up replacing seats & carpets.
Thats the one I checked - behind the glovebox. Hopefuly I wont have to replace the seats but can't figure out where the odour is comming from, they dont seem to smell. Still waiting for the spray to arrive and will see after although I've heart these tretments solve the problem only temporary. Thanks

Old 06-11-2016, 06:33 PM

Does vinegar and water mixture sprayed into fabric help?

Old 06-14-2016, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

I too was going to suggest the (white) vinegar and water trick. It works on pet stains, it might work with cigarette smoke too.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mackden
That's fantastic. Also the car looks superb.

What "car" are you looking at? The only one in the whole thread is my Signature, but that's not the car being discussed here.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:49 PM

Use an ozone generator- plug it in, close up the car and run it for a day...