Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

SWIRLS!!!! How to get rid of 'em

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Default SWIRLS!!!! How to get rid of 'em

Anyone got some advice to get rid of swirls? Besides repainting the car?

Old 10-16-2007, 04:48 AM
Default RE: SWIRLS!!!! How to get rid of 'em

depends how bad they are and how deep. you might try a clay bar kit and see if that helps any followed by a swirl remover then a three stage polish and wax. mcguiers (spelling) has some great products for the paint!

Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 PM

Yeah, I don't know how deep they are. You can only really see them when the sun is glaring off it. Certain angles it's worse. [:@]

But there's alot! They are like all over the car! [:@]

I got the Ice clay bar like thing. I was gonna try this out in a small area and see what happens, but when I looked it up online the responses were crazy, People hate it! I said Ican't use this. [:'(]

I saw that MagaLiqour whatever you call it in the store next to the Ice I should ofspent the extra 5 bucks! [&:]

I think I'lljust gonna get a real clay bar from like the 3m catalog and go that way. I never used anything like this so I'll return and let you know how it goes.

You always have to wax it after the use of a clay bar?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:01 PM

IMHO meguiarsis the way to go. I've always used their stuff even on the semi's I used to detail. and yes you should wax after using the clay bar some kits even include a wax with the clay and spray.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:29 PM

i got swirl marks on my tail lights on the first day of having the car....i'm flipping out, you cant really see them but I can...Plastx?

Old 06-27-2008, 10:40 AM

whatever you use, dont' use turtle wax. I tried some of that stuff on my car and it did nothing...waste of $9

Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 PM

As a general rule of thumb, of your nails don't catch on a scratch, then it can be buffed out.
Like another member has already mentioned, clay first (to remove contaminants)
then move on to a slightly abrasive polish, then to a wax and glaze.
If done correctly, your car should be fine.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 PM

I cant believe no one has said this yet, you need to machine polish the car. Your going to either A. Take it to a professional or B. Learn to do it yourself. Where are you located?

Old 01-11-2009, 03:01 PM

Rule of thumb for non machined SMR. You can remove about 1/2 the swirls in twice the time it would take you to remove 95% by machine. Reall the best you can do by hand is clean the paint. I mean its not totally impossible by hand, but its very laborous, and time consuming. Also uses excessive amounts of products.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

+1 to machine polishing, however you need a buffer with enough power to actually do paint correction. A $20 Walmart random orbital won't have the oompf to get the swirls out. Sure it will get some of the little stuff, but you won't get 80% of them out, and you won't get that deep shine you want. As to using a clay bar.... it won't do anything for the swirls. The clay has a very mild abrasive and will pull out contaminants which have bonded into the clear coat. I recommend claying the car prior to polishing just to give yourself a better surface prep. In car detailing, as in everything, poor preparation begets poor results. If you put the proper effort into your detailing you should be able to achieve results like this. This is a member at M3F using a porter cable buffer, and after about 15 hours of work. That 15 hours doesn't include sealing and waxing. I think the results speak for themselves.

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER